Connectionists: CAN satellite workshop

Gunnar Blohm gunnar.blohm at gmail.com
Mon May 12 11:55:42 EDT 2014

*Invitation to the CAN 2014 satellite workshop on "Neural circuits of
health and disease: from computation to experiment"
*

**

We would like to invite you to join us at the CAN 2014 satellite
workshop on "Neural circuits of health and disease: from computation to
experiment" to be held on *Monday, May 26 between 5pm and 10pm *at the
Montreal Hilton Bonaventure. This workshop is organized by the Canadian
Association for Neuroinformatics and Computational Neuroscience (CNCN)
and jointly sponsored by CIHR and NeuroDevNet.

The *goals *of this workshop are to (1) showcase the significance of
CNCN-experimental collaborations, (2) enable new breakthroughs on major
health questions through break-out sessions matching CNCN expertise with
experimentalists, and (3) prepare a joint vision on how CNCN will
optimally benefit health research in Canada. We hope to build new
collaborations, exchange ideas and demonstrate the usefulness of CNCN.
In addition, we aim at providing specific suggestions to funding
agencies on how CNCN could further boost Canadian health research. We
are also very honored to have *Dr. Eve Marder* (Brandeis University;
former SfN president) as a keynote lecturer. Please see below for a
detailed program.

If you are interested in participating, please email Dr. Gunnar Blohm
(gunnar.blohm at queensu.ca <mailto:gunnar.blohm at queensu.ca>) with a short
statement of interest and benefit of participation to you. Although this
workshop is mainly intended for PIs, we also encourage senior graduate
students and postdocs to apply. Participation is by invitation only. The
CNCN steering committee will select 60 participants (10
students/postdocs) out of all applications. Thanks to CIHR and
NeuroDevNet, workshop participation is free and includes dinner.

We hope to see you at the workshop!

Sincerely

Gunnar Blohm & Paul Pavlidis (co-organizers, co-directors of CNCN)

_Preliminary Program_:

5pm -- 5:15pm -- Welcome by Paul Pavlidis & Gunnar Blohm

Showcases of CNCN-experimental collaborations

5-15pm -- 5:45pm: Neurodevelopmental disorders (TBD)

5:45pm -- 6:15pm: Stroke (TBD)

6:15pm -- 6:45pm: Changes in the dynamics of network oscillations in
hippocampus as markers of neurodegeneration in Alzheimer disease mice
models (Frances Skinner, U Toronto; Sylvain Williams, McGill)

6:45pm -- 7:15pm: Genomics and neuropsychiatric disorders (Gustavo
Turecki, McGill; Paul Pavlidis, UBC)

7:15pm -- 8:30pm: 6 chaired round table discussions & dinner

8:30pm -- 9:30pm: keynote lecture (Dr. Eve Marder)

9:30pm -- open end: open discussion on vision of CNCN

Dr. Gunnar BLOHM
Assistant Professor in Computational Neuroscience

Centre for Neuroscience Studies, Departments of Biomedical
and Molecular Sciences, Mathematics & Statistics, and
Psychology, School of Computing, and
Canadian Action and Perception Network (CAPnet)

Queen's University
18, Stuart Street
Kingston, Ontario, Canada, K7L 3N6
Tel: (613) 533-3385