Connectionists: Postdoc position at NYU

Weiji Ma weijima at nyu.edu
Wed Jun 25 11:54:26 EDT 2014

*Postdoc position: decision-making and learning in combinatorial games*

Applications are invited for a postdoctoral position in my laboratory in
the Center for Neural Science and Department of Psychology at New York
University (www.cns.nyu.edu/malab). The position is for two years, with the
possibility of extension.

The long-range goal of the lab is to understand decision-making under
uncertainty. The specific project is an NSF-funded one on how humans think
ahead, decide, and learn in two-player, full-information games (such as
chess, go, or tic-tac-toe). We will use human behavioral experiments,
machine learning, eye tracking, and potentially fMRI to dissect the roles
of heuristics, pruning strategy, and cognitive constraints in human play in
a simplified, tractable game environment.

Applicants should have a Ph.D. in machine learning, artificial
intelligence, game theory, computational neuroscience, or mathematical,
perceptual, or cognitive psychology, and be familiar with at least one
other of these fields. Experience with probabilistic models is required.

To apply, please send your CV, a description of why you are interested, and
the contact information of two references to me at weijima at nyu.edu. Do not
hesitate to email me if you have any questions about. Consideration of
applications will begin immediately and will end when the position is
filled. Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience and
qualifications.

--
Wei Ji Ma, Ph.D.
Associate Professor