Connectionists: Paper: Subsystem Formation Driven by Double Contingency

Bernd Porr mail at berndporr.me.uk
Tue Jun 24 08:49:15 EDT 2014

I'm please to announce this paper in the interdisciplinary Journal
Constructivist Foundations.

Purpose: This article investigates the emergence of subsystems in
societies as a solution to the double contingency problem.

Context: There are two underlying paradigms: one is radical
constructivism in the sense that perturbations are at the centre of the
self-organising processes; the other is Luhmann’s double contingency
problem, where agents learn anticipations from each other.

Approach: Central to our investigation is a computer simulation where we
place agents into an arena. These agents can learn to (a) collect food
and/or (b) steal food from other agents. In order to analyse subsystem
formation, we investigate whether agents use both behaviours or just one
of these, which is equivalent to determining the number of
self-referential loops. This is detected with a novel measure that we
call “prediction utilisation.”

Results: During the simulation, symmetry breaking is observed. The
system of agents divides itself up into two subsystems: one where agents
just collect food and another one where agents just steal food from
other agents. The ratio between these two populations is determined by
the amount of food available.

Key words: Social systems, constructivist paradigm, cybernetics, double
contingency, symmetry breaking, emergence.

http://www.univie.ac.at/constructivism/journal/9/2
(you might need to register but the journal is open access)

/Bernd Porr
--
http://www.berndporr.me.uk
http://www.linux-usb-daq.co.uk