Connectionists: PhD Scholarship on Real-time Big Data Mining of Brain and Physiological Data in Computationally Demanding Tasks

Hussein Abbass H.Abbass at adfa.edu.au
Mon Jun 9 08:59:35 EDT 2014

3-year PhD Scholarship on Real-time Big Data Mining of Brain and Physiological Data in Computationally Demanding Tasks

The scholarship is open for International Students

[CLOSING DATE: 5-August-2014 or until position is filled]
[Start Date: Semester 1, 2015]

Stipend $24,653 per annum tax free

School of Engineering and Information Technology
University of New South Wales - Canberra Campus

About the topic

The larger aim of our research is to design next generation intelligent systems where the human brain is seamlessly integrated with the computational in-silco decision making environment. An overview of our most recent experiment where we integrated brain data with the Air Traffic Control environment can be found at http://issuu.com/lesterpublications/docs/atca_journal_q2_2014_preview

This PhD project aims at designing algorithms and models for analysing massive amount of EEG and physiological data in a real-time environment. There is a level of flexibility to adjust the scope and focus of the PhD project to fit a suitably qualified candidate.

The ideal candidate for this PhD scholarship

You must have the equivalent of a four-year Bachelor's degree with first or upper second class honours, or a three-year Bachelor's degree with a masters by research degree in one of the following specialities: Electrical Engineering (Signals), Psychology (neuro-science), Computer Science (Data Mining), or Mathematics (Time series analysis).

The candidate must have excellent time-management skills, passion for interdisciplinary research, and the determination to produce high quality thesis accompanied with high quality publications.

The topic requires a candidate with the impetus to perfect their knowledge in signal processing, time series analysis and neuro-science.

Our Team

The University of New South Wales (UNSW) is in the top 100 universities internationally and one of the top 8 research intensive universities (known as GO8) in Australia. The Canberra campus is located at the Australian Defence Force Academy in Canberra, the Capital of Australia. We enjoy a highly multi-cultural environment with students and staff from all over the world. We respect diversity and merit-based selection.

The School of Engineering and Information Technology (SEIT) has more than 170 PhD students. SEIT hosts one of the largest groups in Australia working on and using computational intelligence techniques. The team for this project is part of this group. We enjoy working at the interface between humans and machines, attempting to uncover some of the mystery in human dynamics using advanced computational tools.

For additional information about this position, please contact Prof. Hussein Abbass [email  hussein.abbass at gmail.com<mailto:hussein.abbass at gmail.com>]

THE UNIVERSITY OF NEW SOUTH WALES
UNSW CANBERRA AT THE AUSTRALIAN DEFENCE FORCE ACADEMY
PO Box 7916, CANBERRA BC 2610, Australia
Web: http://unsw.adfa.edu.au

CRICOS Provider no. 00100G

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and are not necessarily the views of UNSW.