Connectionists: BDA 2014 -- last call for submissions!

Saket saketn at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Jul 19 12:49:02 EDT 2014

The 2nd Workshop on Biological Distributed Algorithms (BDA 2014)
October 11-12, 2014, Austin, Texas USA - in conjunction with DISC 2014
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~saketn/BDA2014/

We are excited to announce the second workshop on Biological Distributed
Algorithms (BDA). BDA is focused on the relationships between distributed
computing and distributed biological systems and in particular, on analysis
and case studies that combine the two. Such research can lead to better
understanding of the behavior of the biological systems while at the same
time developing novel computational algorithms that can be used to solve
basic distributed computing problems.

The first BDA workshop, BDA 2013, was collocated with DISC 2013 (the 27th
International Symposium on Distributed Computing) in Jerusalem. BDA 2014
will be collocated with DISC 2014 in Austin, Texas. It will
take place just before DISC, on Saturday and Sunday, October 11-12, 2014.

BDA 2014 will include talks on distributed algorithms
related to a variety of biological systems. However, this time we will devote
special attention to communication and coordination in insect colonies
(e.g. foraging, navigation, task allocation, construction)
and networks in the brain (e.g. learning, decision-making, attention).

===========
SUBMISSIONS
===========
We solicit submissions of extended abstracts describing recent results relevant
to biological distributed computing. We especially welcome extended
abstracts describing new insights and / or case studies regarding the
relationship between distributed computing and
biological systems even if these are not fully formed. Since a major goal
of the workshop is to explore new directions and approaches, we especially
encourage the submission of ongoing work. Selected contributors would be
asked to present, discuss and defend their work at the workshop. By
default, the submissions will be evaluated for either oral or poster
presentation, though authors may indicate in their submission if it should
be only considered for one of the presentation types. Submissions should be
in PDF and include title, author information, and a 4-page extended
abstract. Shorter
submissions are also welcome, particularly for poster presentation.

Please use the following EasyChair submission link:
http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=bda2014

Note: The workshop will not include published proceedings. In particular,
we welcome submissions of extended abstracts describing work that has
appeared or is expected to appear in other venues.

Financial support for student/postdoc participants
We will cover the registration fee and up to $500 of travel costs for selected
participants at the student/postdoc level. Please refer to the workshop's
website for further details.

===============
IMPORTANT DATES
===============
July 23, 2014 - Extended abstract submission deadline
August 18, 2014 - Decision notifications
October 11-12, 2014 - Workshop

================
INVITED SPEAKERS
================
Dmitri Chklovskii - HHMI Janelia Farm
Alex Cornejo - Harvard
Anna Dornhaus - University of Arizona
Ofer Feinerman - Weizmann Institute
Ila Fiete - UT Austin
Deborah Gordon - Stanford
Laurent Keller - University of Lausanne
Amos Korman - CNRS and University of Paris Diderot
Nancy Lynch - MIT
James Marshall - University of Sheffield
Radhika Nagpal - Harvard
Saket Navlakha - CMU
Stephen Pratt - Arizona State University
Andrea Richa - Arizona State University
Nir Shavit - MIT

=================
PROGRAM COMMITTEE
Ziv Bar-Joseph - CMU (co-chair)
Anna Dornhaus - University of Arizona
Yuval Emek - Technion (co-chair)
Amos Korman - CNRS and University of Paris Diderot (co-chair)
Nancy Lynch - MIT
Radhika Nagpal - Harvard
Saket Navlakha - CMU
Nir Shavit - MIT