Connectionists: First Deep Learning Networks in 1965

Barto Andy barto at cs.umass.edu
Tue Jul 8 09:13:23 EDT 2014

Juergen,

It is great that you bring attention to GMDH.  It is not so widely known, although in his 1990 book Neurocomputing, Robert Hecht-Nielson provides a nice discussion of it.  It is related to the general idea of a beam search. People might also want to know about the work of my late colleague Paul Utgoff and his student Dave Stracuzzi, who were very interested in what they called “many-layered learning”. Clearly not the first, but interesting too I think:

Utgoff, P.E., & Stracuzzi, D.J. (2002a). Many-layered learning. Neural Computation, 14, 2497-2539.

Best,
Andy