Connectionists: Brain-like computing fanfare and big data fanfare

Ivan Raikov ivan.g.raikov at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 20:29:35 EST 2014

Well, I think it is not so clear that we will be swallowed up by
statistical methods, because exact Bayesian inference is NP-hard.
I think you will have a really hard time arguing that the brain solves
NP-hard problems.
In fact, I think a central question is how the heck does the brain *avoid*
having to solve NP-hard problems :-)
Of course, there are many kinds of inexact inference algorithms based on
random sampling, which have polynomial time complexity,
but they usually have problems with optimality. So I think statistics is
just one more tool for those cases when there  is no data.

   Ivan