Connectionists: Physics and Psychology (and the C-word)

Carson Chow ccchow at pitt.edu
Tue Jan 28 15:49:00 EST 2014

Randy,  I just skimmed your screed against physics and while I agree
that most physicists don't pay attention to the foundations of quantum
mechanics and I sympathize with your angst, I still must disagree with
some of your assertions.

It is not true that only entangled photons can demonstrate nonlocality.
Once two massive particles are outside of their respective light cones,
they are no longer causally related by the speed-of-light.  If you have
two measuring devices setup very far apart and you can keep the two
particles coherent then they will violate Bell's inequalities.  The fact
that it took them a long time to get to the space-like separation is
irrelevant.  All that matters is once they are far enough apart they are
causally separated but Bell's inequalities will still be violated.  I
also believe that Alain Aspect's experiments show photon entanglement.

QED is manifestly Lorentz covariant so photons do travel at the speed of
light in the theory.    Also, the Langrangian for all quantum field
theories have the same form as Maxwell's equations that you like so
much.  I also don't really follow what you are so distrubed about with
regards to the locality of photons.  The normal modes of photons are
indeed pure Fourier modes but the photons that you know and love come in
wave packets, which imparts locality to them.  I'm not sure why this
bothers you.

I think you also impart some advantage to semi-classical calculations
over QM that don't seem warranted.  All calculations in QFT are
perturbational and there are basically two small parameters you can use
- the coupling constant, e.g. alpha, or Planck's constant hbar.  A
semi-classical calculation (also called a loop expansion) just uses
small hbar.  The agreement to experiments like the Lamb shift or
electron-photon scattering, etc do improve as you go to higher order in
the loop expansion.

As mathematics, Quantum mechanics is beautifully self-consistent and
rather simple.  All you need is unitary transformation of a state
function in Hilbert space together with the Born rule.  You may find
that distasteful as a representation of reality but I find that much
more satisfying than our confusing nonlinear classical world.  I think
the biggest puzzle in quantum mechanics is the origin of the Born rule.
Why is the L2 norm squared of the amplitude probability?

Anyway, I had no idea you were thinking about these things.

cheers,
Carson