Connectionists: Brain-like computing fanfare and big data fanfare

Dan Goodman dg.connectionists at thesamovar.net
Sat Jan 25 17:44:58 EST 2014

The comparison with physics is an interesting one, but we have to
remember that neuroscience isn't physics. For a start, neuroscience is
clearly much harder than physics in many ways. Linear and separable
phenomena are much harder to find in neuroscience, and so both analysing
and modelling data is much more difficult. Experimentally, it is much
more difficult to control for independent variables in addition to the
difficulty of working with living animals.

So although we might be able to learn things from the history of physics
- and I tend to agree with Axel Hutt that one of those lessons is to use
the simplest possible model rather than trying to include all the
biophysical details we know to exist - while neuroscience is in its
pre-paradigmatic phase (agreed with Jim Bower on this) I would say we
need to try a diverse set of methodological approaches and see what
wins. In terms of funding agencies, I think the best thing they could do
would be to not insist on any one methodological approach to the
exclusion of others.

I also share doubts about the idea that if we collect enough data then
interesting results will just pop out. On the other hand, there are some
valid hypotheses about brain function that require the collection of
large amounts of data. Personally, I think that we need to understand
the coordinated behaviour of many neurons to understand how information
is encoded and processed in the brain. At present, it's hard to look at
enough neurons simultaneously to be very sure of finding this sort of
coordinated activity, and this is one of the things that the HBP and
BRAIN initiative are aiming at.

Dan