Connectionists: Four-Year Scholarships on Autonomous Intelligent Machines and Systems at Oxford

Nando de Freitas nando at cs.ubc.ca
Wed Jan 22 06:22:29 EST 2014

[Apologies for duplicates]

The application deadlines are 14th February 2014 and 14th March 2014.

Full detail of the programme and information on how to apply can be found at
 www.eng.ox.ac.uk/aims  <http://www.eng.ox.ac.uk/aims>

*UNIVERSITY OF OXFORD  **EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training*

*In Autonomous Intelligent Machines and Systems (AIMS) *

Candidates are invited to apply to the University of Oxford’s 4-year
Autonomous Intelligent Machines and Systems (AIMS) PhD (DPhil) programme.
This new and exciting programme provides a completely new perspective to
solving the issues of intelligent, autonomous systems by adopting an
inter-disciplinary approach.

In the next decade our society will be revolutionised by Autonomous,
Intelligent Machines and Systems, which can learn, adapt and act
independently of human control. The UK has the opportunity to become a
world-leader in developing these technologies for sectors as diverse as
energy, transport, environment, manufacturing and aerospace. Our CDT will
deliver highly-trained individuals versed in the underpinning sciences of
robotics, computer vision, wireless embedded systems, machine learning,
control and verification. The CDT will advance practical models and
techniques to enable computers and robots to make decisions under
uncertainty, scale to large problem domains and be verified and validated.

Holding one of these studentships will allow you to study the problems and
opportunities in Autonomous, Intelligent Systems from many different
perspectives, to understand the real-world challenges, and to make a
contribution to solving some of the most significant problems society faces
today.

Applications will be considered from those with degrees at undergraduate (1
st or 2:1) and master’s level (distinction).

Funding is provided by EPSRC according to usual eligibility rules: Full
studentships are available to UK candidates; and Partial studentships (fees
only) are available for EU candidates. At present we are not able to offer
these studentships to international candidates but we do welcome
applications from self-funded students. For more details, to ask questions,
or to learn how to apply, please contact the CDT at aims-cdt at robots.ox.ac.uk
.

Thanks,

Nando