Connectionists: practopoiesis

Danko Nikolic danko.nikolic at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 20 01:47:53 EDT 2014

Dear John,

   Yes, this is correct, practopoiesis is about physical and mental
development. However, it is equally so about behavior and cognition.
And, maybe surprisingly, it includes also evolution by natural
selection. In fact, one of the most fundamental theoretical advantages
behind practopoiesis is that the same organizational principles can be
used to explain all of these different aspects of biological systems;
and more importantly, the relationships between them.

  For example, when one consciously thinks and comes up with new
decisions on what to do next, the process is principally not different
from development of the nervous system and coming up with new anatomical
structures. It is just that one process takes place faster than the
other, and that one is at a higher level of organization than the other.
Apart from that, the underlying cybernetic principles are the same.

Maturana and Varela would say something like: "Thinking is living,
living is thinking".

Regards,

Danko

--
Prof. Dr. Danko Nikolić

Web:
http://www.danko-nikolic.com

Mail address 1:
Department of Neurophysiology
Max Planck Institut for Brain Research
Deutschordenstr. 46
60528 Frankfurt am Main
GERMANY

Mail address 2:
Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies
Wolfgang Goethe University
Ruth-Moufang-Str. 1
60433 Frankfurt am Main
GERMANY