Connectionists: how the brain works? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Kelley, Troy D CIV (US) troy.d.kelley6.civ at mail.mil
Tue Apr 8 09:14:36 EDT 2014

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Steve,
-------

In particular, during learning, a big enough mismatch can lead to hypothesis
testing and search for a new, or previously learned, category that leads to
an acceptable match. The criterion for what is "big enough mismatch" or
"acceptable match" is regulated by a vigilance parameter that can itself
vary in a state-dependent way.

-------

In our work with ART, we have found the vigilance to be an extremely
sensitive parameter.  I wonder if there would be some way to change this
calculation to keep the vigilance from being so sensitive?  There seemed to
be a sweet spot for the parameter to work well with the learned material but
that was sometimes difficult to find.

Also, it seems to me from my work in developmental cognition that this
parameter might benefit from being incrementally adaptive.  In other words,
it changes from repeated exposure to learned material.  So early during
learning, the criterion for a "big enough mismatch" is low, and as learning
develops the criterion becomes higher - reflecting the fact that more
information is being learned and there is less likely a chance for a big
mismatch.

Troy Kelley
Cognitive Robotics Team Leader
Human Research and Engineering Directorate
Army Research Laboratory
Aberdeen, MD, 21005
V: 410-278-5869