Connectionists: how the brain works? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Juyang Weng weng at cse.msu.edu
Mon Apr 7 13:58:56 EDT 2014

Tsvi,

Note that ART uses a vigilance value to pick up the first "acceptable"
match in its sequential bottom-up and top-down search.
I believe that was Steve meant when he mentioned vigilance.

Why do you think "ART as a neural way to implement a K-nearest neighbor
algorithm"?
If not all the neighbors have sequentially participated,
how can ART find the nearest neighbor, let alone K-nearest neighbor?

Our DN uses an explicit k-nearest mechanism to find the k-nearest
neighbors in every network update,
to avoid the problems of slow resonance in existing models of spiking
neuronal networks.
The explicit k-nearest mechanism itself is not meant to be biologically
plausible,
but it gives a computational advantage for software simulation of large
networks
at a speed slower than 1000 network updates per second.

I guess that more detailed molecular simulations of individual neuronal
spikes (such as using the Hodgkin-Huxley model of
a neuron, using the NEURON software,
<http://www.neuron.yale.edu/neuron/> or like the Blue Brain project
<http://bluebrain.epfl.ch/> directed by respected Dr. Henry Markram)
are very useful for showing some detailed molecular, synaptic, and
neuronal properties.
However, they miss necessary brain-system-level mechanisms so much that
it is difficult for them
to show major brain-scale functions
(such as learning to recognize objects and detection of natural objects
directly from natural cluttered scenes).

According to my understanding, if one uses a detailed neuronal model for
each of a variety of neuronal types and
connects those simulated neurons of different types according to a
diagram of Brodmann areas,
his simulation is NOT going to lead to any major brain function.
He still needs brain-system-level knowledge such as that taught in the
BMI 871 course.

-John

On 4/7/14 8:07 AM, Tsvi Achler wrote:
> [...]
>>     feature vector as a monolithic input.
>>     By monolithic, I mean that all neurons take the entire input
>>     feature vector as input.
>>     I raise this point here because neuron in ART in the late 1990's
>>     does not have an explicit local sensory receptive field (SRF),
>>     i.e., are fully connected from all components of the input
>>     vector.   A local SRF means that each neuron is only connected to
>>     a small region
>>     in an input image.
>
>     Various ART algorithms for technology do use fully connected
>     networks. They represent a single-channel case, which is often
>     sufficient in applications and which simplifies mathematical
>     proofs. However, the single-channel case is, as its name suggests,
>     not a necessary constraint on ART design.
>
>     In addition, many ART biological models do not restrict themselves
>     to the single-channel case, and do have receptive fields. These
>     include the LAMINART family of models that predict functional
>     roles for many identified cell types in the laminar circuits of
>     cerebral cortex. These models illustrate how variations of a
>     shared laminar circuit design can carry out very different
>     intelligent functions, such as 3D vision (e.g., 3D LAMINART),
>     speech and language (e.g., cARTWORD), and cognitive information
>     processing (e.g., LIST PARSE). They are all summarized in the 2012
>     review article, with the archival articles themselves on my web
>     page http://cns.bu.edu/~steve <http://cns.bu.edu/%7Esteve>.
>
>     The existence of these laminar variations-on-a-theme provides an
>     existence proof for the exciting goal of designing a family of
>     chips whose specializations can realize all aspects of higher
>     intelligence, and which can be consistently connected because they
>     all share a similar underlying design. Work on achieving this goal
>     can productively occupy lots of creative modelers and
>     technologists for many years to come.
>
>     I hope that the above replies provide some relevant information,
>     as well as pointers for finding more.
>
>     Best,
>
>     Steve
>

>>     My apology again if my understanding above has errors although I
>>     have examined the above two points carefully
>>     through multiple your papers.
>>
>>     Best regards,
>>
>>     -John
>>
>>     Juyang (John) Weng, Professor
>>     Department of Computer Science and Engineering
>>     MSU Cognitive Science Program and MSU Neuroscience Program
>>     428 S Shaw Ln Rm 3115
>>     Michigan State University
>>     East Lansing, MI 48824 USA
>>     Tel:517-353-4388  <tel:517-353-4388>
>>     Fax:517-432-1061  <tel:517-432-1061>
>>     Email:weng at cse.msu.edu  <mailto:weng at cse.msu.edu>
>>     URL:http://www.cse.msu.edu/~weng/  <http://www.cse.msu.edu/%7Eweng/>
>>

>     Stephen Grossberg
>     Wang Professor of Cognitive and Neural Systems
>     Professor of Mathematics, Psychology, and Biomedical Engineering

Juyang (John) Weng, Professor
Email: weng at cse.msu.edu