Connectionists: How the brain works? Symbolic vs. Connectionist

Juyang Weng weng at cse.msu.edu
Sat Apr 5 11:55:59 EDT 2014

On 4/18/08 3:38 PM, Asim Roy wrote:
 > By the way, your algorithms I believe are structurally similar to the
other connectionists algorithms I analyzed in my paper.

Asim, I respectfully disagree.
If what you said is true, it is absolutely impossible for me to bridge
the wide gap between the two major schools in AI:
the symbolic school and the connectionist school.
Please see the (incomplete) 14-point list of novelties below from an
anonymous reviewer.   I first introduce the wide gap:

Marvin Minsky 1991 in AI Magazine:
- Symbolic: Logic & Neat
- Connectionist: analogical & scruffy.
Michael Jordan at IJCNN 2011:
- Neural nets do not abstract well
- I will not talk about neural nets today