Connectionists: generalizing language in neural networks [was Re: Computational Modeling of Bilingualism Special Issue]

Juyang Weng weng at cse.msu.edu
Tue Mar 26 13:43:14 EDT 2013

Gary, this is called (general-purpose) transfer in psychology.  We
provided a general-purpose solution to transfer using
the theoretical framework of DN inspired by brain anatomy.  The paper
discussed in the following short article gives an example in
theoretically modeling and experimentally simulating autonomous transfer
in perceptual learning:

When a Reviewer's Comments Became Longer than the Submitted Paper
<http://www.brain-mind-magazine.org/read.php?file=BMM-V2-N1-a6-SolgiMojtaba-a.pdf#view>
banner              16 - 17
by /Mojtaba Solgi /
*Abstract: *The debate over the pros and cons of the so-called scholarly
peer review of journals is as old as itself. In this short essay, I wish
not to take a side, but to simply tell a story. The story is of how a
recently published paper [1] was first hammered by the reviewers as
vague, incomprehensible and worthy of rejection, and later praised as
"unorthodox" and worthy of the attention of the research community.
*Index terms: *Peer review, research evaluation, perceptual learning,
transfer

-John

On 3/26/13 12:09 AM, Gary Marcus wrote:
> SInce the human brain is pretty quick to generalize
> universally-quantified one-to-one-mappings, even to novel elements,
> and even on the basis of small amounts of data, I consider these to be
> important - but largely unsolved -- problems.

Juyang (John) Weng, Professor
MSU Cognitive Science Program and MSU Neuroscience Program
428 S Shaw Ln Rm 3115
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824 USA
Tel: 517-353-4388