Connectionists: A biological brain is fundamentally an emergent finite automaton

Juyang Weng weng at cse.msu.edu
Tue Mar 26 12:06:32 EDT 2013

Dear Prof. Janet Wiles:

Thank you for raising the issue.  I hope that this discussion is useful
to everybody who has subscribed to this connectionists mailing list.

Dr. Paul Werbos, a well-known expert in neural network working at NSF,
raised the same point to me, but we two were talking about very
different things using the same key words like Finite Automaton (FA).
Communications are hard in this fast-paced modern world when the
attention span of everybody is too short!  Key words like FA fallen into
a wrong pocket have wrong meanings.

I put some key points (not all) here concisely so that people can get
them quickly and understand why Marvin Minsky and Micheal Jordan
correctly said (traditional) neural networks (TNNs, including the
networks in the edited book by Kolen and Kramer 2001) do not abstract
well and why our Developmental Network (DN) has HOLISTICALLY solved a
series of major problems with TNN and the traditional AI methods:

(1.a) TNNs are open to human programmers.  A human programmer simply
compiles a task-specific automaton (FA, PDA, or Turing Machine TM, or
super TM) into a TNN.  If the original automaton can do a specific task,
why do you compile it into a network?  Simply defend connectionism?  A
bad move.
(1.b) A brain is not open to human programmers.  It is "skull-closed"
during learning and performance.  Thus, a human programmer can only
program the Developmental Program (DP) of a DN, but not directly DN
itself.  The DN must program itself through learning while being
regulated by the DP.   A DP is genome-like but our DP only simulates the
function of genomes for brain development, not the individual genes
themselves.   The programmer of the DP does not know about the tasks
that a DN will learn in its life.  The DP is for many DNs.  A different
DN represents a different life. A DN can learn an open number of unknown
tasks, but the TNNs in Kolen and Kramer 2001 do not.

(2.a) TNNs do not use fully emergent representations. They use symbolic
representations of various degrees.  For example, the human programmer
specifies what features an area detects.    I do not think any TNN in
Kolen and Kramer 2001 can do language acquisition.
(2.b) All the feature detectors and all the representations in DN are
fully emergent with only body-specific constraints (not
environment-specific constraints).   Thus, a DN can learn to acquire a
(simple) language (mother tongue) that the human programmer of the DP
does not even know about.

(3.a) The states of TNNs are in hidden layers, not directly teachable.
This is the key architecture reason that all TNN do not abstract well.
(3.b) The states of DNs are in the action ports that are open to the
physical environment as both input and output, directly teachable and
verifiable like a biological brain.

(4.a) TNN learning (if a TNN does) is slow, iterative, no global
optimality.
(4.b) DN learning from any huge FA is immediate.  The DN is error-free
(one-shot learning) not only for learned sequence but also for
state-equivalent sequences that it has NOT observed, critical for
language understanding since many sentences are new. The DN is optimal
in the sense of maximum likelihood.

(5.a) Simulating PDA, TM, or super TM using TNN seems to be on a wrong
track, since the brain is not a PDA, TM, or super TM.
(5.b) The most fundamental part of a biological brain seems to be an
emergent FA (EFA).  In theory and in practice, an EFA like DN is able to
perform all kinds of practical tasks including of course mathematical
logic.  The Chapter 10 of my book "Natural and Artificial Intelligence"
discusses this large topic with a series of practical examples.

All criticisms and comments are welcome.

-John

Email: weng at cse.msu.edu