Connectionists: New paper on why modules evolve, and how to evolve modular neural networks

Eric Mjolsness emj at uci.edu
Mon Feb 25 13:24:22 EST 2013

Here are two old and possibly relevant references that don't quite
answer Jurgen's question on neural wirelength optimization
in evolutionary computation and machine learning.

Wirelength minimization was a key criterion for the hand-design
of an artificial neural network architecture in my 1985 PhD thesis:
"Neural networks, pattern recognition, and fingerprint hallucination",
PhD thesis, posted at: http://emj.ics.uci.edu/?page_id=93 .

Later my collaborators and I experimented with genotype-phenotype
automated design of artificial neural network architectures [1989],
but we replaced the wirelength objective with a more easily
computable "parsimony cost" that measured genotypic information
content required to specify a network. We suggested but
didn't adopt an additional L1 wiring sparseness objective.
[1989] "Scaling, Machine Learning, and Genetic Neural Nets", Eric Mjolsness,
David H. Sharp, and Bradley K. Alpert. Advances
in Applied Mathematics, June 1989, available at
http://computableplant.ics.uci.edu/papers/1989/ScalingMachineLearningGNN.pdf .

- Eric Mjolsness

--
Eric Mjolsness
Professor of Computer Science and Mathematics
emj at uci.edu
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~emj