Connectionists: The Neural Binding Problem(s)

Jerry Feldman feldman at icsi.berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 6 14:41:35 EDT 2012

"The *binding problem* is one of a number of terms at the interface
between neuroscience and philosophy which suffer from being used in
several different ways, often in a context that does not explicitly
indicate which way the term is being used."
  Wikipedia, June 2012

I have(finally) finished my review of the Neural Binding Problem(s) . It
is in press, but a preprint is available at:
http://www.icsi.berkeley.edu/icsi/publication_details?n=3346
and a video of a recent talk on the work is at:
http://archive.org/details/Redwood_Center_2012_06_27_Jerome_Feldman

As always, feedback is invited- Jerry F.

Abstract: The famous Neural Binding Problem (NBP) comprises at least
four distinct problems with different computational and neural
requirements. This review discusses the current state of work on General
Coordination, Visual Feature-Binding, Variable Binding, and the
Subjective Unity of Perception. There is significant continuing
progress, partially masked by confusing the different versions of the NBP.