Connectionists: Fwd: Stanford theoretical neuroscience faculty search ; Nov 30th application deadline

Gary Cottrell gary at eng.ucsd.edu
Mon Oct 22 16:35:23 EDT 2012

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Surya Ganguli <sganguli at stanford.edu>
> Date: October 21, 2012 10:11:06 PM PDT
> To: sganguli at stanford.edu
> Subject: Stanford theoretical neuroscience faculty search ; Nov 30th application deadline
>
> Dear colleagues,
>
>   I just wanted to let you know that Stanford is conducting a faculty search this year in theoretical neuroscience (details below in the copy of the ad).   We would very much appreciate your help in getting the word out, and in identifying excellent candidates and encouraging them to apply.   The application deadline for full consideration is Nov 30th 2012.   Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> best wishes,
> Surya

> Surya Ganguli
> Department of Applied Physics
> Stanford University
> http://keck.ucsf.edu/~surya
>
> STANFORD UNIVERSITY invites applications for a tenure-track appointment at the untenured assistant professor level in THEORETICAL NEUROSCIENCE to begin in the academic year 2013-14. The appointee would be expected to make contributions to theoretical neuroscience and to engage with theoretically and empirically inclined neuroscience researchers and trainees across a wide range of departments and to participate in the research training program of the Center for Mind, Brain, and Computation.  The departmental home of the appointee could be in any one of several relevant departments spread across the Schools of Humanities and Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, and exact teaching responsibilities would be determined through the home department.  Applicants should provide a curriculum vitae (including bibliography), a brief statement of research interests, a teaching statement, copies of scholarly papers, and three letters of reference. For full consideration, materials must be received by November 30, 2012. Please apply through AcademicJobsOnline.org at https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/2180
>

> Stanford University is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty. It welcomes nominations of, and applications from, women and members of minority groups, as well as others who would bring additional dimensions to the university's research and teaching missions.

Gary Cottrell 858-534-6640 FAX: 858-534-7029
Computer Science and Engineering 0404
IF USING FED EX INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING LINE:
CSE Building, Room 4130
University of California San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive # 0404
La Jolla, Ca. 92093-0404

"Probably once or twice a week we are sitting at dinner and Richard says, 'The cortex is hopeless,' and I say, 'That's why I work on the worm.'" Dr. Bargmann said.

"A grapefruit is a lemon that saw an opportunity and took advantage of it." - note written on a door in Amsterdam on Lijnbaansgracht.

"Physical reality is great, but it has a lousy search function." -Matt Tong

"Only connect!" -E.M. Forster

"You always have to believe that tomorrow you might write the matlab program that solves everything - otherwise you never will." -Geoff Hinton

"I am awaiting the day when people remember the fact that discovery does not work by deciding what you want and then discovering it."
-David Mermin

Email: gary at ucsd.edu
Home page: http://www-cse.ucsd.edu/~gary/