Connectionists: Just posted: "Functional specialization within the striatum along both the dorsal/ventral and anterior/posterior axes.. "

Mark A. Gluck gluck at pavlov.rutgers.edu
Sun Jul 15 11:45:06 EDT 2012

Dear Colleagues,

This paper from last year, a fMRI study with the Stark lab at UC
Irvine, looked at striatal subregions activated during the
reward-vs-punishment learning task used in our earlier Bodi et al.
(2009) study of Parkinson's patients and dopaminergic drugs. It is
has now been posted to our web site at:

http://www.gluck.edu/pdf/2011_Mattfled_L&M.pdf

Mattfeld, A. T., Gluck, M. A. and Stark C. L., (2011). Functional
specialization within the striatum along both the dorsal/ventral and
anterior/posterior axes during associative learning via reward and
punishment. Learning and Memory. 8:703-711.

The goal of the present study was to elucidate the role of the human
striatum in learning via reward and punishment during an associative
learning task. Previous studies have identified the striatum as a
critical component in the neural circuitry of reward-related
learning. It remains unclear, however, under what task conditions,
and to what extent, the striatum is modulated by punishment during an
instrumental learning task. Using high-resolution fMRI during a
reward- and punishment-based probabilistic associative learning task,
we observed activity in the ventral putamen for stimuli learned via
reward regardless of whether participants were correct or incorrect
(i.e., outcome). In contrast, activity in the dorsal caudate was
modulated by trials that received feedback - either correct reward or
incorrect punishment trials. We also identified an anterior/posterior
dissociation reflecting reward and punishment prediction error
estimates. Additionally, differences in patterns of activity that
correlated with the amount of training were identified along the
anterior/posterior axis of the striatum. We suggest that unique
subregions of the striatum - separated along both a dorsal/ventral
and anterior/posterior axis - differentially participate in the
learning of associations through reward and punishment.

  Regards, Mark Gluck