Connectionists: Lateral spread of orientation selectivity in V1 is controlled by intracortical cooperativity

Laurent Perrinet laurent.perrinet at incm.cnrs-mrs.fr
Fri Mar 18 12:15:06 EDT 2011

Dear list,

This paper by Dr Frédéric Chavane and colleagues was recently published in Frontiers in Systems Neuroscience. It is a rather complete characterization of the functional propagation of orientation selectivity in area V1 using VSD imaging and intracellular recordings in cats. One rather surprising result is that "Beyond a distance of one hypercolumn, the lateral spread of cortical activity gradually lost its orientation preference (...). In contrast, when the stimulus size was increased, we observed orientation-selective spread of activation beyond the feedforward imprint."

http://www.frontiersin.org/systems_neuroscience/10.3389/fnsys.2011.00004/full
(open access to the full text)

Disclaimer: I am not author nor associated directly with this research, but thought that this list may be interested.

cheers,
Laurent Perrinet

--
Laurent Perrinet - INCM (UMR6193)/CNRS