Connectionists: Workshop announcement: 1st Osnabrueck Computational Cognition Alliance Meeting (OCCAM 2011) on "Natural Computation in Hierarchies" - Deadline 30th of April

Prof. Dr. Gordon Pipa gpipa at uos.de
Tue Mar 8 09:24:31 EST 2011

Workshop announcement: (Apologies for duplicate postings)

Dear Colleague, we would like to invite you to register for the 1st
Osnabrück Computational Cognition Alliance Meeting (OCCAM 2011) on "Natural
Computation in Hierarchies". The workshop will take place in Osnabrück,
Germany, from the 22nd to the 24th June 2011 and will be hosted by the
Institute of Cognitive Science (University of Osnabrück). Details can be
found below and on the following webpage:

 <http://www.occam-os.de> http://www.occam-os.de

Registration is open until April 30th, 2011 (first come first served). The
registration fee is 100,- Euros. This fee covers the workshop attendance
incl. coffee and lunch breaks as well as 2 dinners (buffet on 22nd June and
conference dinner on 24th June), but not accommodation.

There will also be a poster session
(http://www.occam-os.de/callforposters.html) where conference participants
will have the opportunity to present their work. Furthermore, guided tours
will help making these contributions highly visible.

The goal of this workshop is to foster our understanding of mechanisms and
principles of information processing in self-organized hierarchical systems.
Our knowledge of self-organized information processing in hierarchical
systems is still very limited despite being a focus of research for many
years. This workshop aims at assembling the latest results from various
research branches in order to combine them into a broader and more
comprehensive picture of the state of the art in hierarchical systems.

The workshop will concentrate on three complementary major topics:

1. Coding and representation of information in hierarchical systems

2. Adaptation, self-organization and learning in hierarchical systems

3. Complex systems, networks and their dynamics

These three topics will consequently lead to the ultimate question of how
information is processed in natural hierarchical systems.

A central aspect of the workshop is to elucidate principles of communication
between different brain modules. We believe that this is important because
large scale interactions in the brain are presumably self-organized. Since
the visual and the motor system are the systems that we know best, the
workshop will naturally focus on these two.

Confirmed speakers are:

·         Sophie Denève

·         József Fiser

·         Claus Hilgetag

·         Herbert Jaeger

·         James Kilner

·         Konrad Körding

·         Frank Pasemann

·         Peggy Seriès

·         Fritz Sommer

·         Shimon Ullman

·         Paul Verschure

·         Angela Yu

·         Tim Kietzmann

·         Johannes Schumacher

·         Niklas Wilming

Best regards,

Frank Jäkel, Peter König, Gordon Pipa (Organizing committee)

---
Professor and Chair of the Neuroinformatics Department

Dr. rer. nat. Gordon Pipa

Institute of Cognitive Science, University of Osnabrueck

Albrechtstr. 28, 49069 Osnabrueck, Germany
tel.                    +49 (0) 541-969-2277

fax (private).  +49 (0) 1803 551839222

e-mail:             gpipa at uos.de

webpage:        <http://www.ni.uos.de/> http://www.ni.uos.de

Assistant and Secretary:
Anna Jungeilges

Institute of Cognitive Science, University of Osnabrueck

Albrechtstr. 28, 49069 Osnabrueck, Germany
tel.          +49 (0) 541 969-2390
fax          +49 (0) 541 969-2246
e-mail:   office at ni.uos.de <mailto:office at ni.ikw.uos.de>