Connectionists: Fully-funded PhD positions available in Artificial Intelligence at the University of Memphis, USA

Bonny Banerjee bonnybanerjee at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 2 15:21:32 EDT 2011

***** Apologies if you receive this message multiple times *****

Fully-funded PhD positions available in Artificial Intelligence at the University of Memphis, USA

Multiple fully-funded PhD positions in Artificial Intelligence (AI) are available at the new Computational Intelligence Laboratory (CIL). The CIL is affiliated with the Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering (EECE) and the interdisciplinary Institute for Intelligent Systems (IIS). A PhD student will work as a research assistant at CIL which will provide full financial support that includes tuition fees and a monthly stipend sufficient for a reasonable lifestyle in Memphis. Obtaining a PhD typically requires 5-6 years.

PhD students will work under the supervision of Dr. Bonny Banerjee. Dr. Banerjee will be joining the University of Memphis in August, 2011 as an assistant professor with joint appointment at the EECE department and the IIS. He will be leading the CIL. There will be the opportunity to collaborate with researchers of IIS, EECE department, School of Communication Sciences & Disorders, and the student’s home department at the University of Memphis, as well as with researchers external to the university.

Research will involve investigating computational approaches to answering fundamental questions in visual and auditory perception, such as, how do we learn the different objects/behaviors in our environment, how do we filter different kinds of noise without any prior model of the noise,  how do we perceive/act proactively to garner efficiency, and so on. Our current focus is on developing a multilayered neural network architecture for learning repeating coincident patterns across multiple spatial and temporal resolutions. This research exists at the confluence of AI, machine learning, cognitive science, and computational neuroscience, with applications to intelligent systems (e.g., smart biomedical devices, decision support systems, human-machine interaction, ambient intelligence) and algorithms (that learn to be efficient by solving similar problems).

An ideal candidate will posses the following:
1. Strong mathematical and programming skills (Matlab experience desirable)
2. Strong motivation to pursue research in AI, neural networks, machine learning, with application to interesting real world problems
3. Some experience in research, such as, working on research projects, co-authoring journal/conference papers, etc.

The student will have to apply and be accepted to the University of Memphis for graduate study in Electrical & Computer Engineering or Computer Science or Physics or Mathematics or Statistics or Psychology or in a related area before he can start working in this position.

Informal enquiries should be sent to Dr. Bonny Banerjee (BonnyBanerjee at yahoo.com)

Important Links:
Dr. Bonny Banerjee ’s research    http://sites.google.com/site/bonnybanerjee1
University of Memphis    http://www.memphis.edu