Connectionists: postdoc position in computational neuroscience

Wei Ji Ma wjma at cpu.bcm.edu
Mon Feb 21 19:33:43 EST 2011

Department of Neuroscience

Baylor College of Medicine, Houston TX

Postdoctoral Associate in Computational Neuroscience

Applications are invited for a postdoctoral position (minimum 2 years)
in the laboratory of Dr. Wei Ji Ma (http://neuro.bcm.edu/malab) in the
Department of Neuroscience at Baylor College of Medicine, Houston,
Texas.

The long-range goal of our work is to understand, at the behavioral and
at the neural level, how the human brain performs probabilistic
inference. We mostly study computationally tractable forms of
hierarchical inference in perception. Current projects include
classification, visual short-term memory, and visual search.

The lab uses a combination of theory, simulations, and theoretically
driven psychophysics. The position will focus on theory and simulations,
but also involve the analysis of neural data collected by experimental
collaborators.

Applicants should have a Ph.D. in computational neuroscience, computer
science, physics, mathematics, psychology, or another relevant field,
and have a commitment to a research career in neuroscience. A strong
mathematical and/or computational background is expected. Experience
with experimental methods is an advantage.

Applicants should send a CV and a statement of interest  to Wei Ji Ma at
wjma at bcm.edu, and arrange for at least three letters of recommendation
to be sent to the same address. Consideration of applications will begin
immediately and will end when the position is filled. Salary is
competitive and will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal-Opportunity, Affirmative-Action
and Equal-Access Employer.

I will be at the Cosyne conference, so if you want to meet me there, let
me know.

--

Wei Ji Ma, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor