Connectionists: FYI RIKEN BSI Summer School 2011

hiroyuki nakahara hiro at brain.riken.jp
Thu Feb 17 23:56:42 EST 2011

Dear colleagues,

I forward the following information.

- Hiro Nakahara

Call for Applications

RIKEN Brain Science Institute 2011 Summer Program
Application deadline; March 15, 2011
Lecture Course: July 12 - July 20
Internship: June 15 - August 10

Every summer, RIKEN Brain Science Institute (Wako, Japan; nearby Tokyo)
organizes the international summer school. The short summary of the
summer school this year is attached below. Application guideline,
further information of the coming and past summer schools and etc are
on the above URL.

The summer school program has two types of applications. One
("Lecture Course application") is to attend the lecture course.
The other ("Inernship application") is to have a two-months
intership in one of laboratories at RIKEN Brain Science
Instiute in addition to the attendance at the lecture course. In both
types, financial support for travel and accommodation will be considered
for those without external funding.

For questions, please send any general inquiry not to me but to the
adminstration or organizing committee of the summer school shown in the
above summer school URL, while you can send inquiry to me if
it is specifically about my laboratory (lab URL: http://www.itn.brain.riken.jp).

2011 RIKEN BSI Summer Program

“The Collective Brain: How does the dynamics of collective interaction
of neurons make our mind work?”

In this course, we would like to place our emphasis on the interaction
or coordination of different components of the brain that allows it to
function as an integrated system for controlling cognition, memory and
behavior. Our emphasis is also on how the malfunctioning of these
mechanisms might lead to abnormal states of the brain.

Invited Lecturers

    * Edmund Rolls, Oxford Center for Computational Neuroscience
    * Matthew Wilson, MIT
    * Francesco Battaglia, University of Amsterdam
    * Howard Eichenbaum, Boston University
    * Gustavo Deco, Universitat Pompeu Fabra
    * Shigetada Nakanishi, Osaka Bioscience Institute
    * Geoffrey Schoenbaum, University of Maryland
    * Rui M. Costa, NIH
    * Jeff Wickens, OIST
    * Paul Phillips, University of Washington
    * Joshua Berke, University of Michigan
    * Joshua Gordon, Columbia University

BSI Speakers

    * Thomas McHugh, RIKEN BSI
    * Tomoki Fukai, RIKEN BSI
    * Hitoshi Okamoto, RIKEN BSI

---------------------------------
Hiro Nakahara
Lab for Integrated Theoretical Neuroscience
RIKEN Brain Science Institute
2-1 Hirosawa Wako
Saitama, 351-0198, Japan
Email: hn at brain.riken.jp