Connectionists: open positions on the PhD and Postdoc level

Dr Sonja Gruen gruen at brain.riken.jp
Sun Nov 21 21:37:03 EST 2010

       November, 2010

Open Positions
on the PhD and Postdoc level

The newly founded institute "Computational and Systems Neuroscience
INM-6" is part of the Institute for Neuroscience and Medicine and the
Institute of Advanced Simulation at the Research Center Juelich. PIs
are affiliated with the renowned RWTH Aachen University.  The
institute starts with the laboratories "Theoretical Systems
Neurobiology" headed by Prof. Sonja Gruen and "Computational
Neurophysics" headed by Prof. Markus Diesmann.  The two laboratories
combine approaches of large-scale modeling and simulation of brain
networks with the analysis of multiple-channel recordings to explore
cooperative neuronal activity (for details see
www.cnpsn.brain.riken.jp and www.nest-initiative.org). A third group
concerned with theoretical anatomy will join later.

We have job openings for PhD and postdoctoral studies. Our team of
experienced postdocs provides individual supervision and guidance in
an integrated laboratory space. The institute is equipped with a
dedicated high-performance computing facility and has access to the
first peta-scale supercomputer in Europe (JUGENE) located on campus.
The projects are carried out in the context of international
collaborations of experimental and theoretical groups, for example the
large-scale European BrainScaleS project.

We are seeking outstanding candidates primarily with background(s) in
computational neuroscience, physics, mathematics or computer science
for projects on:

- higher-order correlation structure of massively parallel spike data
- spatio-temporal scales of cortical interactions
- top-down and bottom-up neuronal processing in awake mammals
- simulation technology
- learning and plasticity in neuronal networks
- theory of spike correlation structure
- brain-scale neuronal network models

The call remains open until all positions are filled. If you are
interested please contact us (gruen at brain.riken.jp or
diesmann at brain.riken.jp) with your electronic CV, list of publications
(if applicable), letters of reference, research interests and a
statement of motivation.

PD Dr. Sonja Gruen
Laboratory for Statistical Neuroscience
RIKEN Brain Science Institute
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako-City
Saitama 351-198, Japan
tel: +81-48-467-9644 (secr), -9670 (fax)
mob: +81-80-3255-4418
gruen at brain.riken.jp
www.cnpsn.brain.riken.jp