Connectionists: Post-doc position in modeling learning in networks of spiking neurons

Jochen Triesch triesch at fias.uni-frankfurt.de
Tue Nov 2 06:24:37 EDT 2010

A post-doc position is available in our lab at the Frankfurt Institute
for Advanced Studies (http://fias.uni-frankfurt.de/). Recent research
has shown how networks of spiking neurons can solve challenging
learning problems if endowed with multiple forms of plasticity (see
references below). Building on this work, we will develop models of
spiking neuron networks that combine different forms of learning
including reward-modulated spike-timing-dependent plasticity to solve
a range of tasks. Of particular interest are the questions how such
networks can learn to selectively route information (attention,
communication through coherence) and to temporarily store information
(working memory).
The project is part of a new, large multi-lab effort to understand
neuronal coordination, i.e. the spatio-temporal interactions of
populations of neurons, in the healthy and diseased brain. There will
be many opportunities to collaborate with leading experimental groups.
See http://www.neff-ffm.de/de/forschung/ for details (so far only in
German). Frankfurt has a vibrant neuroscience community with over 50
experimental and theoretical research groups. Our lab has close ties
with the Max-Planck Institute for Brain Research (http://www.mpih-frankfurt.mpg.de/
) and several collaborations with labs in Europe and the US.
We are looking for a highly qualified individual who has graduated in
computational neuroscience and has experience with modeling networks
of spiking neurons and corresponding simulators. Familiarity with high-
performance-computing environments is a plus. Candidates are required
to have a strong analytical background and excellent programming
skills. Good communication skills in English (oral and written) are
essential.

Application materials should include:
- C.V. (including date of birth, degrees, awards, publications, ...)
- statement of research interests (1-2 pages)
- contact information for 2-3 references

Applications should be sent to:
Ms Gaby Schmitz
Ruth-Moufang-Str. 1
60438 Frankfurt am Main, Germany