Connectionists: 2011 Telluride Neuromorphic Cognition Workshop: Call For Topic Areas Proposals

retienne retienne at jhu.edu
Thu Dec 9 13:05:23 EST 2010

*2011 Neuromorphic Cognition Engineering Workshop /Telluride, Colorado,
June 26-July 16, 2011/*

Topic areas for this summer's Telluride Neuromorphic Engineering
Workshop <http://ine-web.org>, workshop will be chosen from proposals
submitted to the organizers.
*
Topic area leaders will receive housing for themselves and their
invitees and limited travel funding.* Topic leaders help to define the
field of neuromorphic cognition. They shape their topic by selecting
invited speakers and project leaders and by suggesting topic area
projects. Topic area leaders will also be involved in the selection of
workshop applicants.

*Topic areas can span a large field; we are looking for leadership in
planning activities and inviting good people in a field.*  Although past
topic areas have tended to be very broad and discipline-oriented (e.g.,
cognition, audition, vision, robotics, neural interfacing, neuromorphic
VLSI, etc.), new application-oriented topic areas (e.g., sensor fusion,
game-playing robot, etc.) are also desirable. *Topics that incorporate
neuromorphic cognition are especially welcome.*

Teams of two organizers are required. One of the organizers should be an
attendee of a previous Telluride Workshop (in any capacity) for at least
one week.

*The maximum 2-page proposals should include:*

1. Title of topic area.
2. Two topic leaders and their affiliation and contact information.
3. A paragraph explaining the focus and goals of the topic area.
4. A list of possible specific topic area projects.
5. A list of example invitees (up to six names and institutions). No
commitments necessary.
6. Any other material that fits within the two-page limit that will help
us make a smart choice.

*Send your topic area proposal* in pdf or text format to
organizers11 at neuromorphs.net <mailto:organizers09 at neuromorphs.net> with
subject line containing "topic area proposal".

*Proposals must be received by Monday, 10 January 2011*; proposals
received after that deadline may still be considered if space is available.

*Resources limit the workshop to roughly 4 topic areas*, each with 5
invitees*.* If your proposal for the topic area is not accepted, we will
work with you to see if there is a natural way to include your ideas
(and you) into the accepted topic areas. We hope to have significant
turn-over each year in the topic areas and leaders to ensure fresh new
ideas and participants.

See the Institute of Neuromorphic Engineering (www.ine-web.org
<http://www.ine-web.org>) for background information on the workshop and
neuromorphs.net <https://neuromorphs.net/ws2009/wiki/PastWorkshops> for
past workshop wikis.

We look forward to your topic proposals!

The Workshop Directors:
Ralph Etienne-Cummings
<http://etienne.ece.jhu.edu/people/ralph/index.html> (Johns Hopkins
Univ.) Timmer Horiuchi