Connectionists: (Deadline Extension) BICS 2010 - Call for papers, workshops and tutorials

Iñaki Navarro inaki.navarro at upm.es
Mon Dec 28 14:08:47 EST 2009

*We apologize if you receive multiple copies of this message.

Due to several requests, the submission deadline for BICS 2010
has been extended to: January 18, 2010.

 ____ _____ _____  _____   ___   ___  __  ___
|  _ \_   _/ ____|/ ____| |__ \ / _ \/_ |/ _ \
| |_) || || |    | (___      ) | | | || | | | |
|  _ < | || |     \___ \    / /| | | || | | | |
| |_) || || |____ ____) |  / /_| |_| || | |_| |
|____/_____\_____|_____/  |____|\___/ |_|\___/

BRAIN-INSPIRED COGNITIVE SYSTEMS CONFERENCE

Madrid, Spain, July 14-16, 2010

www.bicsconference.org
Ricardo Sanz, General Chair
Sponsored by ICSC

BICS 2010 is a multitrack conference organised around four strongly related
symposia (NC 2010, BIS 2010, CNS 2010 and MoC 2010). The three previous BICS
conferences were BICS 2008 (Sao Luis, Brasil), BICS 2006 (Lesbos, Greece) and
BICS 2004 (Stirling, UK).

Conference Symposia

Sixth International ICSC Symposium on Neural Computation (NC 2010)
Fifth International ICSC Symposium on Biologically Inspired Systems (BIS 2010)
Fourth International ICSC Symposium on Cognitive Neuroscience (CNS 2010)
Third International ICSC Symposium on Models of Consciousness (MoC 2010)

Motivation

Brain Inspired Cognitive Systems - BICS 2010 aims to bring together leading
scientists and engineers who use analytic and synthetic methods both to
understand the astonishing processing properties of biological systems and,
specifically those of the living brain, and to exploit such knowledge to
advance engineering methods for building artificial systems with higher levels
of cognitive competence.

BICS 2010 is a meeting point of cognitive systems engineers and brain
scientists where cross-domain ideas are fostered in the hope of getting new
emerging insights on the nature, operation and extractable capabilities of
brains. This multiple approach is necessary because the progressively more
accurate data about brains is producing a growing need of both a quantitative
and theoretical understanding and an associated capacity to manipulate this
data and translate it into engineering applications rooted in sound theories.

BICS 2010 is intended for both researchers that aim to build brain inspired
systems with higher cognitive competences, and as well to life scientists who
use and develop mathematical and engineering approaches for a better
understanding of complex biological systems like the brain.

BICS 2010 is organized around four major interlaced focal symposia that are
organized into patterns that encourage cross-fertilization across the symposia
topics. This emphasizes the role of BICS as a major meeting point for
researchers and practitioners in the areas of biological and artificial
cognitive systems. Debates across disciplines will enrich researchers with
complementary perspectives from diverse scientific fields.

Call for Workshops and Tutorials

The Organizing Committee for BICS 2010 requests proposals for a full or half
day workshop or tutorial, to be held on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 at the
Technical University of Madrid, Madrid, Spain. This day of workshops and
tutorials will precede the main conference.

The workshops and tutorials have consistently provided high-quality,
topically-focused forums for researchers at the forefront of basic and applied
research in brain inspired cognitive systems. Workshops should be focused on
interactions of participants to exchange new ideas and explore new directions
in research. Tutorials should provide self-contained descriptions of
established research topics.

The primary criteria for selection are anticipated level of interest, impact,
novelty or creativity, and technical background of presenters.

We request that workshop and tutorial organizers initially email a brief,
single-paragraph description of the proposed topic and a list of organizers by
January 18, 2010 to the BICS Program manager at ipc at bicsconference.org.

A template for the final proposal of approximately 3 pages will be mailed to
all interested parties. The full proposal submission should include a title,
an abstract and a description of the proposed content, a tentative schedule,
and the expected requirements for space and equipment. Full proposals for
review will be due by January 18, 2010. All decisions will be made by January
30, 2010.

Dates

Conference: July 14-16, 2010
Workshops and tutorials: July 13, 2010

Paper submission

Submission of contributions: January 18, 2010
Notification of acceptance: March 10, 2010
Final contributions due: May 15, 2010

Workshops and Tutorials submission

Submission of proposals: January 18, 2010
Notification of acceptance: January 15, 2010

Conference Publications

All accepted papers will be included in the Conference Proceedings, which will
be published in electronic format. Attendant authors will receive a copy of them
on CD.

* BICS'10 book by Springer
Authors of selected papers will be invited to submit an extended version of them
after the conference, to be included as book chapters in the BICS'10 book to be
published by Springer.

* Special Issue of Cognitive Computation
A post-conference Special Issue of the journal Cognitive Computation will also
be published by Springer with extended versions of selected BICS'2010 papers
chapters and invited contributions.

* Special Issue of the International Journal of Machine Consciousness
A post-conference Special Issue of the International Journal of Machine
Consciousness will also be published with extended versions of selected
contributions to the Symposium on Models of Consciousness of BICS'10.

Venue

The conference will be held at the Escuela Superior de Ingenieros Industriales
of the Technical University of Madrid (UPM ETSII).

Address: Jose Gutierrez Abascal 2
      28006 Madrid
      Spain

Geo:lat=40.4404 lon=-3.6902

Conference Scope

Neural Computation (NC)

NeuroComputational (NC) Systems · NC Hybrid Systems · NC Learning · NC Control
Systems · NC Signal Processing · NC Architectures · NC Devices · NC Perception
and Pattern Classifiers · Support Vector Machines · Fuzzy or Neuro-Fuzzy
Systems · Evolutionary Neural Networks · Biological Neural Network Models · NC
Applications

Biologically Inspired Systems (BIS)

Brain Inspired (BI) Systems · BI Vision · BI Audition and sound processing · BI
Other sensory modalities · BI Motion processing · BI Robotics · BI Adaptive and
Control systems · BI Evolutionary systems · BI Oscillatory systems · BI Signal
processing · BI Learning · Neuromorphic systems

Cognitive Neuroscience (CNS)

CN of vision · CN of non-vision sensory modalities · CN of volition · Systems
Neuroscience · Attentional Mechanisms · Affective Systems · Language · Cortical
Models · Sub-Cortical Models · Cerebellar Models · Neural correlates

Models of consciousness (MoC)

World awareness · Self-awareness · Imagination· Qualia models · Virtual
Machine Approaches · Formal Models of Consciousness · Control Theoretical
Models · Developmental/Infant Models · Will and Volition · Emotion and Affect
Philosophical implications · Neurophysiological Grounding · Enactive
approaches · Heterophenomenology · Analytic/Synthetic phenomenology

Program Committee

Jaime Gómez (Technical University of Madrid), Chair of the PC

Amir Hussain (University of Stirling, UK), NC Chair
Leslie Smith  (University of Stirling, UK), BIS Chair
Igor Aleksander (Imperial College, UK), CNS Chair
Antonio Chella (University of Palermo, UK), MoC Chair

David Gamez (Imperial College, London, UK)
Hugo Gravato Marques (University of Essex, UK)
Alexei Samsonovich (George Mason University, VA, USA)
Raul Arrabales (Universidad Carlos III, Madrid, Spain)
Pentti Haikonen (University of Illinois, Springfield, IL, USA)
Tom Ziemke (University of Skövde, Sweden)
David Balduzzi (University of Wisconsin, WI, USA)
Riccardo Manzotti (IULM, Milan, Italy)
James Albus (George Mason University, VA, USA)
James Austin (Cybula Ltd, UK)
Giacomo Indiveri (University of Zurich, Switzerland)
Alister Hamilton (University of Edinburgh, UK)
F. Claire Rind (Newcastle University, UK)
Sue Denham (University of Plymouth, UK)
Philip Hafliger (University of Oslo, Norway)
David Windridge (University of Surrey, UK)
Luis Rocha (Indiana University, Bloomington, USA)
Shun-ichi Amari (RIKEN Brain Science Institute, Japan)
Jose C. Principe (University of Florida, USA)
Professor Ron Sun (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, USA)
Anil K Seth (University of Sussex, UK)
Bernard Widrow (Stanford University, USA)
Stephen Grossberg (Boston University, USA)
Umamaheshwari Ramamurthy (University of Memphis, TN, USA)
Hans-Heinrich Bothe (Technical University of Denmark Lyngby, Denmark)
Marcilio Souto (Federal University of Rio Grande do Norte, Brazil)
Irene Macaluso (Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland)
Will Browne (University of Reading, UK)
Petros A. M. Gelepithis (National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece)
Mark Humphries (University of Sheffield, UK)
Robert Lowe (University of Skövde, Sweden)

Organizing Committee

Ramon Galán, Chair of the OC

Carlos Hernández
Iñaki Navarro