Connectionists: Two PostDoctoral or Ph.D. student positions

Tobias Niemann tobias at nld.ds.mpg.de
Tue Mar 18 06:33:59 EDT 2008

Job Offer: Two PostDoctoral or Ph.D. student positions

The Bernstein Center for Neurotechnology Goettingen (BCNT) invites
applications for

Two PostDoctoral or Ph.D. student positions

in the project “Magnetic stimulation in cell culture and brain”. In this
German-Israeli cooperation between the Max-Planck-Institute for Dynamics
and Self-Organization, the Weizmann Institute (Rehovot, Israel) and the
Medical School of Göttingen University, we will combine numerical
simulations, experimental work on neuronal cultures and clinical trials
to achieve a detailed understanding of the cellular effects of magnetic
stimulation (TMS) and direct current stimulation (tDCS). With this
background we hope to achieve a rational design of therapeutic treatment
paradigms for these brain stimulations.

In this context two foci should be covered by the successful applicants:
1.	numerical simulations of neurons on various levels of complexity. In
addition numerical simulations of electromagnetic fields in space with
anisotropic impedance will be performed.
2.	experiments with magnetic stimulation in both, clinical trials and in
vivo / in vitro model systems. The aim is to test and transfer new
stimulation paradigms.
The successful applicants will get the opportunity to develop skills is
both areas.

The successful applicant is interested in tackling problems in an
interdisciplinary group and has a degree in neuroscience, physics,
applied mathematics or engeneering and experience with numerical
simulations.

Goettingen is a university town with a long tradition and a vivid
student atmosphere – and it is a center of neuroscience research in
Germany. Besides the recently established BCNT and several institutes of
the Goettingen University the neuroscience community also includes three
Max-Planck-Institutes, the Bernstein Center for Computational
Neuroscience, the European Neuroscience Institute, the Center for
Molecular Physiology of the Brain and the German Primate Center.
Goettingen will host the Third International Conference on Transcranial
Magnetic and Direct Current Stimulation.

The initial appointment will be for two years, with the possibility of
extension. Salary for the PhD positions is according to the German TVÖD
(“Entgeltgruppe” 13 or 14, depending on qualifications) with benefits.
We are committed to employing more disabled individuals and especially
encourage them to apply. We aim to increase the number of women in those
areas where they are underrepresented and urge them to apply.

Applications (including a statement of interest, CV, publication list,
certificates, addresses of references) should consist of one
pdf-document and sent to
Dr. Andreas Neef: aneef at gwdg.de or Prof. Walter Paulus:
wpaulus at med.uni-goettingen.de.