Connectionists: EUROPEAN WORKSHOP ON REINFORCEMENT LEARNING (EWRL) 2008

Remi Munos remi.munos at inria.fr
Mon Jan 14 03:00:07 EST 2008

Please distribute to anyone who may be interested:

(apologies for multiple postings)

Call for Contributions

EUROPEAN WORKSHOP ON REINFORCEMENT LEARNING (EWRL) 2008

June 30 - July 3, 2008

INRIA Lille-Nord Europe, France

http://ewrl08.futurs.inria.fr

INFORMATION
-----------

European Workshop on Reinforcement Learning (EWRL) is a (biennial)
series of events that is being organized since 1994. To date, the
sequential decision making problem with delayed rewards has been
studied, under various guises, by various communities: machine
learning, control, economics, applied mathematics, psychology and
biology to name the foremost. EWRL'08, the eighth workshop in the
series as well, aims to serve as a forum to discuss the current
state-of-the-art and future research directions in this continuously
growing field. We intend to make this an exciting event not only for
the European RL community but also international researchers from
related areas with many opportunities to share new knowledge and
encourage collaborative work. We also hope to help the emergence of
European projects in the 7th framework program that fall into the
scope of RL.

EWRL'08 is planned to be a theme oriented event in which each main
theme will be allocated a half-day session including (i) an overview
or tutorial, (ii) technical contributions in the form of long and
short papers, followed by (iii) discussions. There will be two special
sessions; a general discussion session entitled "Where are we heading? -
Current and Future Trends in RL", and a demonstration session entitled
"Real-life Applications of RL".

Prof. Rich Sutton, University of Alberta, will also be our special guest.

Topics of interest include but not limited to:

* Exploration vs Exploitation Trade-off
* (Function) Approximation in RL
* Knowledge Representation in RL
* Theoretical RL (Convergence and performance bounds, Complexity issues,
Sensitivity analysis)
* Multi-Agent RL
* Regret-minimization Algorithms in Games
* Direct Policy Search and Policy Gradient Methods
* Reward design and inverse RL
* Bayesian vs Frequentist Approaches
* RL and Statistical Learning
* Metrics for Empirical Comparisons in RL
* Reducing RL to Inference, Regression and Classification
* RL to Sequence Prediction
* RL from Biological and Psychological Perspectives