Connectionists: From Neuron to Behaviour: MSc programme at University of Plymouth, UK

Roman Borisyuk R.Borisyuk at plymouth.ac.uk
Wed Feb 20 11:26:19 EST 2008

>From Neuron to Behaviour: MSc programme on Neural Systems, Cognitive Neuroscience and Brain Function
We are pleased to announce a new MSc programme Theoretical and Computational Neuroscience at University of Plymouth, UK. The course is full time for 12 months, and starts in September 2008.
This exciting multidisciplinary programme provides you with a comprehensive knowledge of principles and concepts of brain functioning. It covers anatomy and physiology of brain structures; mechanisms controlling dynamics of neural activity, state-of-the-art brain imaging techniques; the relation between  neural activity and cognitive functions such as object and sound recognition, attention,  memory; and many other intriguing topics related to understanding how the brain makes sense of the world and how it organises behaviour.
The programme is unique in Europe in providing training within the quickly evolving cutting-edge discipline of Theoretical Neuroscience. It is especially suitable for students from the experimental sciences (psychology, biology and medicine). Students with engineering, computing, physics, mathematics and similar degrees wishing to broaden their horizons toward applications in the amazing field of brain modelling will find this programme very attractive.
Programme highlights
*         You will participate in an interdisciplinary, new and unique programme studying fundamental principles of information processing in the brain
*         You will learn how incoming sensory signals become our perception, how we recognise images and sounds, form attention focus on the most important information, memorise events and their sequences, develop behavioural responses, control locomotion etc.
*         You will develop confidence and competence in the theoretical and practical dimensions of modelling in neuroscience, through taught modules, practical work, exercises and project development
*         You will become experienced in analysing experimental data of cognitive and neurophysiological experiments; new medical devices and methods to study the brain and treat neurological disorders; brain inspired algorithms and neuromorphic techniques of finding solutions to complex problems
*         You will be taught by recognised experts with worldwide links to research organisations and projects
*         You can take advantage of our partnership with centres of computational neuroscience in the UK, Europe, USA and Japan

The programme is developed in the Centre for Theoretical and Computational Neuroscience (CTCN) <http://www.research.plymouth.ac.uk/ctcn/>   ( http://www.research.plymouth.ac.uk/ctcn/ ). The CTCN is one of the leading centres in the field of theoretical neuroscience. The Centre has bought together a range of international experts from various backgrounds. This rich mix of computational, mathematical and neuroscience expertise provides a unique opportunity for students to acquire multidisciplinary training.
The programme should provide an excellent training for those wishing to pursue an academic research career. In particular, it provides a broad multidisciplinary foundation for students wishing to undertake further research training at PhD level. Also the programme opens exciting perspectives for students wishing to work for the pharmaceutical and medical industries and apply their knowledge of new and exciting discoveries in brain research. For example, biomedical engineering requires experts in brain functioning to deal with developments of new drugs to treat mental and neurological diseases, develop prosthetic devices etc. This programme will be attractive for medical professionals wishing to continue their professional development.

For more information and application see

http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/taught/3068/MSc+Theoretical+and+Computational+Neuroscience

Contact details

Postgraduate Admissions
Faculty of Science