Connectionists: A new paper on activity constraints and neuronal variability

Andrey Olypher aolifer at emory.edu
Wed Sep 12 14:54:46 EDT 2007

The following article is now available at
http://calabreselx.biology.emory.edu/andrey/pub/olypher_calabrese_07_jnphys_epub.pdf
(4.7M)

Using constraints on neuronal activity to reveal compensatory changes in
neuronal parameters.
Andrey V. Olypher and Ronald L. Calabrese
J Neurophysiol, 2007 (in press).

ABSTRACT:
In this study, we developed a general description of parameter^
combinations for which specified characteristics of neuronal^ or network
activity are constant. Our approach is based on^ the implicit function
theorem and is applicable to activity^ characteristics which smoothly
depend on parameters. Such smoothness^ is often intrinsic to neuronal
systems when they are in stable^ functional states. The conclusions
about how parameters compensate^ each other, developed in this study,
can thus be used even without^ regard to the specific mathematical model
describing a particular^ neuron or neuronal network. We showed that near
a generic point^ in the parameter space there are infinitely many other
points,^ or parameter combinations, for which specified characteristics^
of activity are the same as in the original point. These parameter^
combinations form a smooth manifold. This manifold can be extended^ as
long as the gradients of characteristics are defined and^ independent.
All possible variations of parameters compensating^ each other are
simply all possible charts of the same manifold.^ The number of
compensating parameters (but not parameters themselves)^ is fixed and
equal to the number of the independent characteristics^ maintained. The
algorithm that we developed shows how to find^ compensatory functional
dependencies between parameters numerically.^ Our method can be used in
the analysis of the homeostatic regulation,^ neuronal database search,
model tuning and other applications.

--
Andrei Olifer (Andrey Olypher)
Biology Department