Connectionists: Workshop on Cortical Microcircuits: Structure, Function and Theory at CNS*2007

Vassilis Cutsuridis vcu at cs.stir.ac.uk
Sat Jun 9 04:55:39 EDT 2007

CORTICAL MICROCIRCUITS: STRUCTURE, FUNCTION AND THEORY

8:30am-12:30pm on Thursday July 12th, 2007 in Bahen Building.

 In conjunction with:

 Computational Neuroscience Meeting CNS*2007
July 8th - 12th 2007, Toronto, Canada
http://www.cnsorg.org
Please forward to interested colleagues.

 INVITED TALKS:

>  Dr. Stefan Rotter, Relating Structure and Dynamics of Neocortical Networks

>  Dr. Hide Cateau, Interplay between a phase response curve and an activity-dependent rewiring rule of neurons leads to wireless clustering

> Mr. Martin Spacek, Accounting for network states in cortex: are pairwise correlations sufficient?

> Dr. Imre Vida, Synaptic propertis of interneuron networks promote gamma oscillations in cortical circuits

> Dr. Paolo Di Prodi, A working memory model with three factor learning

> Dr. Markus Butz, Modelling structural plasticity

> Dr. Lynsey McCabe, Shaping STDP curve by interneuron and CA2+ dynamics

SCOPE:

 To understand how perception, action, learning and memory work,
we need to gather data from multiple levels of complexity and from
various brain states (normal and diseased). We need to identify the
neuronal groups involved in these functions, identify their different types
of neurons, draw detailed circuit diagrams, determine the forms of synaptic
transmission and plasticity between different neurons and study the
dynamics of the cortical microcircuits at the cellular and synaptic level that
comprise these neuronal groups. Mathematical and computer models are
then essential in exploring how these microcircuits can account for a given
function.

The goal of the present workshop is to bring together experts from
experimental and computational neuroscience in order to review some of the
 ongoing experimental and theoretical research concerning cortical microcircuits
with particular emphasis on the functional roles of the various inhibitory interneurons
in the pertinent information processing.

 SPECIFIC AIMS:

> Microcircuit architectures (neocortex, hippocampus, sensory and motor systems)
> Cross-comparison of architectures from different brain areas
> Identified functionality of specific microcircuits
> Identified functionality of specific neuronal types
> Plasticity and learning

ORGANIZERS:
Vassilis Cutsuridis (1), Bruce P. Graham (1)
(1) Dept. of Computing Science and Mathematics, University of Stirling, Stirling, U.K.

Sincerely,
Workshop organizers
Vassilis Cutsuridis, Bruce P. Graham
Email: vcu at cs.stir.ac.uk, b.graham at cs.stir.ac.uk

--
The University of Stirling is a university established in Scotland by
charter at Stirling, FK9 4LA.  Privileged/Confidential Information may