Connectionists: Postdoctoral Position: Exploring and exploiting the limits of fast visual recognition

Maximilian Riesenhuber mr287 at georgetown.edu
Mon Aug 27 12:35:31 EDT 2007

Postdoctoral Position: Exploring and exploiting the limits of fast
visual recognition

Riesenhuber Lab
Department of Neuroscience
Georgetown University
Washington, DC

We have an opening for a postdoctoral fellow (pending finalization of
budget negotiations), starting in the late fall, to participate in a
research project studying the limits of visual object recognition and
cognitive processing at high image presentation rates and under
dual-task conditions, with the goal of utilizing target-related neural
signals recorded via high-density EEG for a real-time neurally-based
target detection system combining machine and biological vision. The
project thus offers the opportunity to do interesting research on visual
object recognition, attentional modulations, cognitive control, and
brain-machine-interfaces.

A strong quantitative background and experience in neural data analysis
are required. Experience with EEG and psychophysics is a strong plus, as
is a background in biological and/or machine vision.  The position is
for an initial period of one year with the possibility of extension for
an additional two years depending on progress. Salary is competitive.
Due to funding restrictions, candidates should be US citizens or
permanent residents.

Our lab investigates the computational mechanisms underlying human
object recognition as a gateway to understanding information processing
and learning in cortex.  In our work, we combine computational modeling
with psychophysical, fMRI and most recently EEG data from our own lab
and collaborators, as well as with single unit data obtained in
collaboration with physiology labs. For more information, see
http://maxlab.neuro.georgetown.edu.

Interested candidates should send a CV, a brief (1 page) statement of
research interests, representative reprints, and the names and contact
information of three references by email to Maximilian Riesenhuber
(mr287 at georgetown.edu). Review of applications will begin immediately,
and will continue until the position is filled. Informal inquiries (to
mr287 at georgetown.edu) are welcome.

Maximilian Riesenhuber                             phone: 202-687-9198
Department of Neuroscience                         fax:   202-784-3562
Georgetown University Medical Center       email: mr287 at georgetown.edu
Research Building Room WP-12
3970 Reservoir Rd., NW
Washington, DC 20007                http://maxlab.neuro.georgetown.edu