Connectionists: Neural circuit for sparse coding using optimized matching pursuit

Fritz Sommer fsommer at berkeley.edu
Thu Nov 9 16:22:12 EST 2006

A new paper is available that describes a neural network for sparse
coding of visual input principled on optimized matching pursuit:

Title:
A network that uses few active neurones to code visual input predicts
the diverse shapes of cortical receptive fields
by M. Rehn and F. T. Sommer

Abstract:
Computational models of primary visual cortex have demonstrated that
principles of efficient coding and neuronal sparseness can explain
the emergence of neurones with localised oriented receptive fields.
Yet, existing models have failed to predict the diverse shapes of
receptive fields that occur in nature. The existing models used a
particular “soft” form of sparseness that limits average neuronal
activity. Here we study models of efficient coding in a broader
context by comparing soft and “hard” forms of neuronal sparseness.
As a result of our analyses, we propose a novel network model for
visual cortex. The model forms efficient visual representations in
which the number of active neurones, rather than mean neuronal
activity, is limited. This form of hard sparseness also economises
cortical resources like synaptic memory and metabolic energy.
Furthermore, our model accurately predicts the distribution of
receptive field shapes found in the primary visual cortex of cat and
monkey.

If your institution has access to Journal of Computational
Neuroscience, you may view your paper at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/
s10827-006-0003-9
Otherwise the preprint can be downloaded: http://redwood.berkeley.edu/
~fsommer/papers/rehnsommer06pre-jcn.pdf
A related recent paper in Neurocomputing explores connections between
sparse sensory coding and sparse associative memory:

Title:
Storing and restoring visual input with collaborative rank coding and
associative memory.
by M. Rehn and F. T. Sommer

Abstract:
Associative memory in cortical circuits has been held as a major
mechanism for content-addressable memory. Hebbian synapses implement
associative memory efficiently when storing sparse binary activity
patterns. However, in models of sensory processing, representations
are graded and not binary. Thus, it has been an unresolved question
how sensory computation could exploit cortical associative memory.
Here we propose a way how sensory processing could benefit from
memory in cortical circuitry. We describe a new collaborative method
of rank coding for converting graded stimuli, such as natural images,
into sequences of synchronous spike volleys. Such sequences of sparse
binary patterns can be efficiently processed in associative memory of
the Willshaw type. We evaluate storage capacity and noise tolerance
of the proposed system and demonstrate its use in cleanup and fill-in
for noisy or occluded visual input.

The preprint can be downloaded: http://redwood.berkeley.edu/~fsommer/
papers/rehnsommer06neurocomp.pdf

Best,

Fritz Sommer
Redwood Center for Theoretical Neuroscience
University of California, Berkeley
http://redwood.berkeley.edu/wiki/Fritz_Sommer