Connectionists: from Leonid Litisnkii, IONT RAS

Litinskii litin at iont.ru
Mon Jun 19 07:45:48 EDT 2006

Dear colleagues,

I analyze the problem of minimization of quadratic functional of  N binary variables.
In the Hopfield model this is the problem of minimization of the energy of the state.
With regard to physics this is finding of the ground state of the Ising model.

Procedure  of the local minimization is well-known: at the time t we calculate the local field h(i,t), acting on the ith
spin s(i,t), and if the spin is dissatisfied  (in other words, if
s(i,t) h(i,t)<0), then at the next moment of the time the ith spin turn over: s(i,t+1)=sign(h(i,t)).
At that the energy of the state decreases at the value  4|h(i,t)|.

Usually, when a standard approach is used the first occurred dissatisfied spin turns over.
The question is: What if we turn over the most dissatisfied spin, that is the one dissatisfied spin for which  |h(i,t)|  has
the maximal value in the given state?

Do you know works on this theme? Does anybody investigate such a dynamics?
I failed to find such works.

I'll be very grateful for references on this theme.

Leonid Litinskii,
Institute of Optical-neural technologies Russian Academy of Scoences

--
Best regards,
 Litinskii                          mailto:litin at iont.ru