Connectionists: 3rd CFP for BrainIT2006 -- Deadline extended

Masumi Ishikawa ishikawa at brain.kyutech.ac.jp
Mon Jun 12 20:03:56 EDT 2006

[Apologies if you receive this more than once]

  The Third Announcement and Call for Papers for BrainIT2006

Brain-Inspired Information Technology (BrainIT2006)

Kitakyushu, Fukuoka, Japan
September 27-29, 2006

Welcome to BrainIT 2006
   The third international conference, BrainIT 2006, will be held in
Kitakyushu, Japan, on September 27-29, 2006, in order to establish the
foundations of the Brain-Inspired Information Technology. All working at
the frontiers of Brain Science to Information Technology including Robotics
are invited to participate in the third international conference, BrainIT
2006. At this conference, we will organize special sessions on the results
of our COE research program in addition to invited papers from a wide range
of fields from Brain Science to Information Technology.

INVITED SPEAKERS
Special Session
Mitsuo Kawato
(Advanced Telecommunications Research Institute International (ATR), Japan)
  "Manipulative neuroscience based on brain network interface"

Invited Sessions
Asla Pitkanen           (University of Kuopio, Finland)
  "Molecular and cellular pathways mediating amygdala-hippocampal dialogue
during fear conditioning"
Andreas G. Andreou       (Johns Hopkins University, USA)
  "Silicon Brains in 3D SOI-CMOS Technology"
Helge Ritter            (Bielefeld  University, Germany)
  "Making Human-Computer Interfaces Brain-adequate"
Rodney Douglas          (University/ETH Zurich, Switzerland)
  "Computations performed by collections of recurrently connected neurons,
and their implementation in hybrid CMOS VLSI electronic systems"
Yoshihiko Nakamura      (The University of Tokyo, Japan)
  “Toward Intuitive Communication using Bodies Between Human and Humanoid
Robots”
Lamp Session
Ryohei Kanzaki          (The University of Tokyo, Japan)
  “How the microbrain generates adaptive behavior?”-- from gene and
neurons to neural networks and behavior --

IMPORTANT DATES
Abstract (for presentation) Submission Deadline:   June 19, 2006(EXTENDED!!)
Notification of Acceptance:                       July 14, 2006
Early Registration Deadline:                       September 5, 2006

SCOPE AND TOPICS
   BrainIT 2006 solicits experimental, computational, theoretical as well
as engineering papers related to the topics in the following
non-exhaustive, non-exclusive categories.

Categories:
 1. Vision systems
 2. Other sensory systems
 3. Cognition & Languages
 4. Learning and Memory
 5. Behavior & Emotion
 6. Motor controls
 7. Dynamics
 8. Neural computation
 9. Neural networks
10.Brain-inspired intelligent machines

   Papers that bridge brain science and information technology are
especially welcome. Regular papers may include speculative discussions on
Brain-Inspired Information Technology.
   BrainIT 2006 is open to all working at the frontiers of Brain Science to
Information Technology (modeling and hardware realization) and provides the
opportunity for presenting and discussing ideas that pave the way for the
new field, Brain-Inspired Information Technology.

Instructions for Authors
   Authors for poster presentation must submit a 1-page A4-sized abstract
electronically via our web site, though submissions by e-mail are also
available.  Only PDF files are acceptable. Each abstract will be
independently reviewed by two reviewers. Abstracts selected by reviewers
are asked to present in a Selected Paper Session, an oral session.
BrainIT2006 will publish an edited book as before.  For further
information, please refer to our web site.

Registration
   Registration is free of charge. However, we recommend your early
registration as the number of abstract books and other materials may be limited.

Sponsors
- "World of brain computing interwoven out of animals and robots": The 21st
Century Center of Excellence Program of the Ministry of Education, Culture,
Sports, Science and Technology, Japan
- Kyushu Institute of Technology
- Fuzzy Logic Systems Institute (FLSI)
- Kitakyushu Foundation for the Advancement of Industry, Science and
Technology (FAIS)

Contact us
Secretariat:
Tetsuo FURUKAWA, PhD, Professor
Phone: +81-93-695-6124, Fax: +81-93-695-6134
E-mail: secretariat at brain-it.brain.kyutech.ac.jp
For more information, please visit our web site:
http://conf.lsse.kyutech.ac.jp/~brain-it/

Masumi Ishikawa
Department of Brain Science and Engineering
Graduate School of Life Science and Systems Engineering
Kyushu Institute of Technology
2-4 Hibikino, Wakamatsu, Kitakyushu 808-0196, Japan
Tel and Fax: +81-93-695-6106
Email: ishikawa at brain.kyutech.ac.jp