Connectionists: paper on encoding of rat position by triangular lattice neurons

Ila Fiete prasad at kitp.ucsb.edu
Tue Jun 6 17:26:27 EDT 2006

Our paper on the encoding of rat position by triangular
lattice neurons (grid cells) in the rat brain is now
available for download from the q-bio arXiv, at:

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/q-bio/pdf/0606/0606005.pdf

The title and abstract are given below.

We welcome your comments!

Best regards,
Ila Fiete

Triangular lattice neurons may implement an advanced
numeral system to precisely encode rat position over large
ranges

Authors: Yoram Burak, Ted Brookings, Ila Fiete

We argue by observation of the neural data that neurons in
area dMEC of rats, which fire whenever the rat is on any
vertex of a regular triangular lattice that tiles 2-d
space, may be using an advanced numeral system to
reversibly encode rat position. We interpret measured dMEC
properties within the framework of a residue number system
(RNS), and describe how RNS encoding -- which breaks the
non-periodic variable of rat position into a set of
narrowly distributed periodic variables -- allows a small
set of cells to compactly represent and efficiently update
rat position with high resolution over a large range. We
show that the uniquely useful properties of RNS encoding
still hold when the encoded and encoding quantities are
relaxed to be real numbers with built-in uncertainties,
and provide a numerical and functional estimate of the
range and resolution of rat positions that can be uniquely
encoded in dMEC. The use of a compact,
`arithmetic-friendly' numeral system to encode a metric
variable, as we propose is happening in dMEC, is
qualitatively different from all previously identified
examples of coding in the brain. We discuss the numerous
neurobiological implications and predictions of our
hypothesis.