No subject

Tue Jun 6 06:52:25 EDT 2006

Just to congratulate you for organizing such an important panel.
On the foundations, I would like to remind you that even the
point that learning must occur by synaptic adjustments is another
question that should be discussed in my opinion.

An additional note from Prof. Weber Martins - weber at eee.ufg.br

As a researcher with Computer and Electrical Engineering
background, I was not talking about biological plausibility. I
am interested in the resolution of complex problems in a
efficient way. I work mainly with weightless (Boolean) neural
networks. In those models, we usually deal with the adjusting
of neuronal "behavior", not synapses. In my point of view, the
Neural Network community uses homogeneous networks (with the
same type of neuron throughtout the network) to simplify
mathematical analysis and algorithms. However, from many books
I read on NN, it seems that if you don't adjust synapses, you're
not doing NN... From an computational point of view, this doesn't =0Alook r=
ight to me.