No subject

Tue Jun 6 06:52:25 EDT 2006

in education has been a major focus of our development efforts.  The
intention has been to both support the increased use of numerical
simulations in neuroscience, as well as provide a basis for more
sophisticated approaches to teaching neuroscience in general.  With
partricular respect to the connectionist mailing list, we believe the
GENESIS tutorials,in concert with the Book of GENESIS, provide a means to
further the neuroscience education of our engineering and neural network
colleagues.  For those currently using GENESIS in education, or interested
in doing so, we have recently setup a moderated email newsgroup that will
enable users of GENESIS in teaching to share ideas, syllabi, exercises,
computer lab handouts, and other materials that they may develop when
teaching
neuroscience and/or neural modeling. Those interested should contact:
genesis-teach-request at smaug.bbb.caltech.edu.

                    Additional information

Additional information on the Book of GENESIS  (including the table of
contents) and the free GENESIS distribution is available over the net from
Caltech by sending an email request to genesis at cns.caltech.edu, or by
accessing the World Wide Web server, http://www.bbb.caltech.edu/GENESIS.
The WWW server will also allow you to see "snapshots" of the GENESIS
tutorials, take a look at the GENESIS programers manual, and find
information about research which has been or is currently being conducted
using GENESIS.

"The Book of GENESIS" is published by TELOS, an "electronic publishing"
affiliate of Springer-Verlag, and may be ordered from Springer by phone,
mail, fax,
email, or through the TELOS WWW page.  Here is the relevant ordering
information:

The Book of GENESIS: Exploring Realistic Neural Models with the GEneral
NEural SImulation System, by James M. Bower and David Beeman

1994/450 pages/Hardcover  ISBN 0-387-94019-7

Send orders to:
Springer-Verlag New York, Inc.
PO Box 2485
Secaucus, NJ 07096-2485