POSITION AVAILABLE in hybrid systems research

ertel@fbe.fh-weingarten.de ertel at fbe.fh-weingarten.de
Tue Jun 6 06:52:25 EDT 2006

RESEARCH POSITION --- RESEARCH POSITION --- RESEARCH POSITION

    Integration of Symbolic and Connectionist Reasoning

	in the Research Group AUTOMATED REASONING
	at the Chair Informatik VIII
	Fakult"at f"ur Informatik
	Technische Universit"at M"unchen

We are an AI research group (consisting of about a dozen researchers)
at the University of Technology in Munich.  Our major field of
research is Automated Reasoning and our main product is the Automated
Theorem Prover SETHEO.  For a couple of years we are now pursuing
research on the combination of symbolic reasoning with neural
techniques.

We are one of the partners in the ESPRIT project MIX (Modular
Integration of Symbolic and Connectionist Processing in
Knowledge-Based Systems). Our goal in this project is to design a
system which is able to do rule based symbolic reasoning on certain
and uncertain knowledge as well as inductive reasoning
(generalization) from empirical data. To achieve this goal we employ
techniques from Automated Reasoning, Statistics and Neural Networks.
Among other applications we are starting to work on a medical expert
system for diagnosis in clinical toxicology.

Our future colleague should have experience in at least some of the
mentioned research fields and should be willing to enter the others as
well.  She/he shall participate actively in the design of the
computational model, in the realization of the application and should
represent the project at MIX project meetings. The position is
available immediately and limited (with good chances for continuation)
until March 1997.  Funding is according to BAT IIa or BAT Ib
(approx. 65000 -- 70000 DM before tax) depending on qualification and
experience.

The applicants must have at least a Master's degree in Computer
Science or a comparable qualification.  Applicants without Ph.D. are
expected to prepare a doctoral thesis in the course of their research
tasks.  Applicants without German as mother tongue should be sincerely
willing to learn German.

Please send as soon as possible your application documents with
references to:

	Bertram Fronh"ofer
	Institut f"ur Informatik
	der Technischen Universit"at
	80290 M"unchen
	Fax.: +49-89/526502
	E-mail: fronhoef at informatik.tu-muenchen.de

Since we want to fill this vacant position as soon as possible, we
would highly appreciate to receive from applicants as soon as possible
a short notification of interest (preferably by e-mail) containing a
short description of the applicant's qualification: e.g. short CV, a
list of publications, summary of master thesis or Ph.D. thesis, etc.

 Bertram Fronh"ofer	 	    	       Automated Reasoning Group
 Institut f"ur Informatik		   at the Lehrstuhl Informatik VIII
 Technische Universit"at M"unchen		Tel.: +49-89/2105-2031
 Arcisstr. 21					Fax.: +49-89/526502
 D-80290 Muenchen	     	     Email: fronhoef at informatik.tu-muenchen.de