No subject

Mon Jun 5 16:42:55 EDT 2006

<gary at cs.ucsd.edu>

I don't understand quite where you get this idea that
Cognitive Scientists believe learning is memoryless.
All you have to do is read any introductory text to
Cognitive Science to see all of the different kinds
of memory there are, and how learning can go on in
these different subsystems. Perhaps I am not getting
your point - that real-time learning is somehow
different? But the simplest kind of learning is
rote learning, and one could argue that the hippocampus
stores examples (which then train cortex, see papers
by Larry Squire). Also, I would guess that most of us
believe that there are attentional filters on what gets
learned - not *every* example gets to be learned upon.