Connectionists: JOB: PhD Position "Advanced Pedestrian Recognition" - DaimlerChrysler R&D, Germany

online@gavrila.net online at gavrila.net
Wed Dec 6 10:33:34 EST 2006

PhD Position: Advanced Pedestrian Recognition

The Machine Perception Department of DaimlerChrysler R&D in Ulm, south-Germany,
has currently an opening for a Ph.D. student in the area of computer vision.
The open position concerns our ongoing research on the challenging (but very
interesting) topic of vision-based pedestrian detection from a moving vehicle.
Pedestrians are arguably the most vulnerable traffic participants; more than
6000 pedestrians are killed and 150.000 injured yearly in the EU. Especially
children are at risk.

A number of separate vision modules have been developed in our group to handle
this problem: stereo- and radar-based obstacle detection, optical-flow based
detection of independently moving objects, shape-based object detection,
intensity-based pattern classification and tracking.  So far, these modules
have only been partially combined, and mostly in loose and rather ad-hoc
fashion. The primary focus of the Ph.D. research lies therefore in how to
better integrate these modules in a high-performance multi-cue object detection
system, using sound probabilistic principles. A secondary focus of the Ph.D.
research is the pattern classification module. Here we are interested in
automatic and interactive techniques to sample new training data in order to
improve classifier performance (active learning). Experiments are to be
performed both off-line, on unique large and prorietary data sets, and on-line,
on-board our Mercedes-Benz vehicle demonstrator, on the test track and in real
urban traffic.

Prospective applicants should demonstrate an above-average academic record and a
solid background in applied mathematics and computer science. Experience in
computer vision and pattern recognition is a definite plus. The successful
applicant will furthermore be motivated and able to conduct research
independently, as well as collaborate effectively with other members of a
research team. A certain affinity towards real-time vision systems and towards
turning complex techniques into real-world practice is essential. Language
skills: good in English, basic in German.

Funding for the Ph.D. student position is available immediately, for a period of
3-4 years. External academic supervision to be provided by Univ. of Mannheim
(Prof. Dr. C. Schnörr).

Prospective applicants please email cover letter (explaining suitability),
resume,  copy of academic record,  references, and any supporting materials
(e.g. MS Thesis, publications, GRE scores) to

Prof. Dr. Dariu Gavrila
Machine Perception, GRE/AP
DaimlerChrysler Research & Technology
Wilhelm Runge St. 11, 89081 Ulm, Germany
[my-first-name].[my-last-name]@DaimlerChrysler.com

For more background information, see
http://www.gavrila.net/Computer_Vision/Research/Pedestrian_Detection/pedestrian_detection.html