Connectionists: New papers: Predicting spike timing of neocortical pyramidal neurons by simple threshold models

Renaud Jolivet renaud.jolivet at epfl.ch
Tue Aug 8 08:26:03 EDT 2006

Dear colleagues,

I would like to advertise two papers that we recently published on
effective Integrate-and-Fire-type models of neuronal activity as well as
parameter estimation methods for such models. We developed a sequential
procedure to quantitatively evaluate an equivalent
Integrate-and-Fire-type model based on intracellular recordings of
cortical pyramidal neurons. We found that the resulting effective model
is sufficient to predict the spike train of real pyramidal neurons with
high accuracy. In in vivo-like regimes, predicted and recorded traces
are almost indistinguishable and a significant part of the spikes can be
predicted at the correct timing. Slow processes like spike-frequency
adaptation are shown to be a key feature in this context since they are
necessary for the model to connect between different driving regimes.

First paper is available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10827-006-7074-5
Jolivet R, Rauch A, Lüscher H-R and Gerstner W. Predicting spike timing
of neocortical pyramidal neurons by simple threshold models. Journal of
Computational Neuroscience 21, 35-49, 2006.

Second paper is available at
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jphysparis.2005.09.010
Jolivet R and Gerstner W. Predicting spike times of a detailed
conductance-based neuron model driven by stochastic spike arrival.
Journal of Physiology-Paris 98, 442-451, 2004.

Full abstracts

1. Neurons generate spikes reliably with millisecond precision if driven
by a fluctuating current—is it then possible to predict the spike timing
knowing the input? We determined parameters of an adapting threshold
model using data recorded in vitro from 24 layer 5 pyramidal neurons
from rat somatosensory cortex, stimulated intracellularly by a
fluctuating current simulating synaptic bombardment in vivo. The model
generates output spikes whenever the membrane voltage (a filtered
version of the input current) reaches a dynamic threshold. We find that
for input currents with large fluctuation amplitude, up to 75% of the
spike times can be predicted with a precision of +-2 ms. Some of the
intrinsic neuronal unreliability can be accounted for by a noisy
threshold mechanism. Our results suggest that, under random current
injection into the soma, (i) neuronal behavior in the subthreshold
regime can be well approximated by a simple linear filter; and (ii) most
of the nonlinearities are captured by a simple threshold process.

2. Reduced models of neuronal activity such as integrate-and-fire models
allow a description of neuronal dynamics in simple, intuitive terms and
are easy to simulate numerically. We present a method to fit an
integrate-and-fire-type model of neuronal activity, namely a modified
version of the spike response model, to a detailed Hodgkin–Huxley-type
neuron model driven by stochastic spike arrival. In the Hogkin–Huxley
model, spike arrival at the synapse is modeled by a change of synaptic
conductance. For such conductance spike input, more than 70% of the
postsynaptic action potentials can be predicted with the correct timing
by the integrate-and-fire-type model. The modified spike response model
is based upon a linearized theory of conductance-driven
integrate-and-fire neurons.

Regards,
Renaud

--