Connectionists: Call for Papers: Cognitive Robotics and Theoretical Psychology

Mark H. Bickhard mhb0 at lehigh.edu
Tue Aug 1 15:07:17 EDT 2006

CALL FOR PAPERS

Cognitive Robotics and Theoretical Psychology
Tom Ziemke & Mark Bickhard

Cognitive robotics – the use of robots in the modeling of cognition –
evolved in reaction to disembodied and context free notions of
cognition.  Cognitive robotics and related orientations emphasize the
centrality of agency to cognition, together with multiple corollary
properties of dynamic agents interacting in real situations.  There are
many interrelations and synergies between cognitive robotics and
theoretical psychology, and progressively more of them are being
explored in both psychology and robotics.

We are calling for papers for a special issue of the journal  New Ideas
in Psychology* addressing the relationships between cognitive robotics
in a broad sense  — including, for example, embodied cognition, and
autonomous agents — on the one hand, and theoretical psychology, on the
other.    We would like to focus on what these approaches offer to
psychology — philosophically, theoretically, methodologically,
suggestions for models, and so on — as well as what opportunities are
offered to psychology for application, testing, and exploration of
psychological issues and theories.  Interested authors should send an
abstract of their intended paper to both editors.  Initial abstracts
are due 15 Nov 2006, and full papers for accepted abstracts will be due
16 Apr 2007.

Important dates:
Submission of abstracts:	15 Nov 2006
Submission of full papers:	16 Apr 2007
Feedback/notification:		20 June 2007
Completion of final drafts:	15 Oct 2007
Aim for publication:		Early 2008

Tom Ziemke
Professor of Cognitive Science/Cognitive Robotics
School of Humanities & Informatics
University of Skövde, Sweden
tom.ziemke at his.se

Mark Bickhard
Henry R. Luce Professor of Cognitive Robotics and the Philosophy of
Knowledge
Lehigh University
Bethlehem, PA  USA
mark at bickhard.name
http://www.bickhard.ws/

* A journal for innovative theory in psychology.  See our editorial
statement: http://ees.elsevier.com/newideas/

Mark H. Bickhard
Lehigh University
17 Memorial Drive East