two phd/postdoc positions

Ulrike von Luxburg ulrike.luxburg at ipsi.fraunhofer.de
Thu Feb 24 14:46:37 EST 2005

At Fraunhofer IPSI, Darmstadt, Germany, we are forming a new data
mining group and have

*** two open positions ***

for either PhD candidates or postdocs. Our goal is to develop machine
learning algorithms which can deal with real world data (very large
data sets, continuously arriving data streams).  This requires both a
sound understanding of the underlying mathematical and algorithmic
problems and expertise in efficient implementations. Our basic methods
come from the areas of machine learning and statistical learning
(e.g., semi-supervised learning, active learning, probabilistic
relational models, Bayes nets) and applied mathematics (statistical
models, graph theory, optimization). Some of the applications we have
in mind are learning in data streams, clustering for large data sets,
data cleaning (duplicate detection, learning of missing values,
discovering erroneous data points).

Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft is the major organization for applied research
in Germany, partly funded by the government and partly by industry
projects. The academic environment in Darmstadt includes several
Fraunhofer Institutes, the Technical University of Darmstadt, and a
number of other research institutes. In particular we have close
connections to the Intelligent Systems Group of Thomas Hofmann at the
computer science faculty of the TU Darmstadt.

Formal requirements for both positions are at least a Master's degree
or equivalent in computer science or mathematics (or related areas)
and good programming skills. Experience in the research areas
mentioned above is a plus. As we want to build an interdisciplinary
and international group, strong commitment to team work and good
English skills are necessary.

The positions start in April 2005 or later, the salary is according to
the German BAT scale. Initially, the positions are for three years,
with possible extension for another three years.
Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft is an equal opportunity employer. Women
are especially encouraged to apply.  Qualified handicapped applicants
will be treated preferentially.

Please send your applications with reference to job number
IPSI-117-05-004  to

Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft e.V.
Hauptabteilung Personal
Dolivostr. 15
64293 Darmstadt
Germany

or by email (with pdf attachments) to
ulrike.luxburg at ipsi.fraunhofer.de.
The application deadline is March 31.

Dr. Ulrike von Luxburg
Fraunhofer IPSI
Dolivostrasse 15, 64293 Darmstadt, Germany
Phone: +49 6151 869-844, Fax: +49 6151 869-898
E-mail: ulrike.luxburg at ipsi.fraunhofer.de
http://www.ipsi.fraunhofer.de/~ule