Ph.D. and Masters Studentships in EEG Brain-Computer Interfaces & Neural Attention Mechanisms

Jim Kroger jkroger at nmsu.edu
Wed Feb 16 13:16:56 EST 2005

(Apologies for multiple postings)

The Mind and Brain Laboratory at NMSU is seeking graduate students at the
Ph.D. and Masters level who are interested in research on Brain-Computer
Interfaces, as well as on the neural mechanisms underlying attention and
control of attention.

Our Brain-Computer Interface work is currently funded by the U.S. Air
Force, and is a joint project between Jim Kroger in the Mind and Brain
Laboratory, and Dr. Joseph Lakey in Mathematical Sciences, and Dr. Kwong Ng
in Electrical Engineering. We focus on developing algorithms for
interpreting mental activity as control signals, with an emphasis on
algorithms to increase speed, accuracy, and decrease training in the
interest of making Brain-Computer Interfaces practical. The NMSU Psychology
Department, in conjunction with the NMSU Physical Sciences Laboratory and
the NMSU Computing Research Laboratory are participating in building a
multi-million dollar Human Performance Research Center that will include an
emphasis on future research on BCIs. Dr. Kroger is also a professor at the
University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, and connected to the MIND
Institute there.

We are also looking at how neural mechanisms operate during reasoning and
other higher cognition, with an emphasis on the functional organization and
interaction of frontal and parietal cortices. It is possible for students
to work in both the BCI and Attention areas. Research is also being
conducted on developing superior head models for source localization.

We have a state of the art, high-density 128-channel electrophysiology
laboratory using a Biosemi Active-2 system, with IBM Intellistation A Pro
dual 64-bit Opteron processor workstations running the EMSE EEG analysis
suite, as well as Matlab and EEGLAB and other Matlab EEG analysis packages.
We have access to MRI locally for anatomical brain scans, a 32-processor
Opteron cluster for high-speed data analysis, and access to fMRI and MEG
facilities at the Mind Institute in Albuquerque. We are also in
collaboration with Los Alamos National Laboratories scientists on fMRI,
EEG, MEG, source localization, and computational models of neural processing.

Students traditionally receive full support. Additionally, there are
opportunities to spend time at Los Alamos National Laboratories.

Interested students with backgrounds in psychology, neuroscience, biology,
mathematics, engineering, physical sciences, or related disciplines, are
encouraged to apply. Students must submit 3 letters of recommendation,
their GPA (official transcripts), and their GRE scores. However, though the
deadline is in March, we will accept promising students soon, so please
contact Dr. Kroger by email if you have an interest in these positions.

Please visit our laboratory website below for further information.

http://www.psych.nmsu.edu/~jkroger/lab/index.html

This website has our application information:

http://www-psych.nmsu.edu/grad_admission.html

Sincerely,
Jim Kroger

Jim Kroger