A New Book: Theory of cortical plasticity

Harel Shouval Harel.Shouval at uth.tmc.edu
Wed Sep 22 13:51:44 EDT 2004

Announcing a new book: Theory of cortical plasticity.

Authors:  Leon N Cooper, Nathan Intrator, Brian S. Blais, & Harel Z. Shouval

This book presents a theory of cortical plasticity and shows how this
theory leads to experiments that test both its assumptions and
consequences. It elucidates, in a manner that is accessible to students
as well as researchers, the role which the BCM theory has played in
guiding research and suggesting experiments that have led to our present
understanding of the mechanisms underlying cortical plasticity. Most of
the connections between theory and experiment that are discussed require
complex simulations. A unique feature of the book is the accompanying
software package, Plasticity
<http://web.bryant.edu/%7Ebblais/plasticity/index.html>. This is
provided complete with source code, and enables the reader to repeat any
of the simulations quoted in the book as well as to vary either
parameters or assumptions. Plasticity
<http://web.bryant.edu/%7Ebblais/plasticity/index.html> is thus a
research and an educational tool. Readers can use it to obtain hands-on
knowledge of the structure of BCM and various other learning algorithms.
They can check and replicate our results as well as test algorithms and
refinements of their own.

Now available from World Scientific Publishing
<http://www.wspc.com/books/lifesci/5462.html>see also: Amazon.com
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/9812387919/ref=lpr_g_1/002-7371912-6967259?v=glance&s=books>,
Barnesandnoble.com
<http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=z0s1ISYaUb&vcqty=1&isbn=9812387919&itm=3>,