papers on stereo and motor modeling available

Ning Qian qian at brahms.cpmc.columbia.edu
Thu May 13 18:53:22 EDT 2004

Dear Colleagues,

The pdf files of two preprints from my lab are available at the links
below.  The first paper is about a multi-scale and multi-orientation
stereo model, and the second is on comparing models of motor planning.
The pdf files of some old papers, including the one on protein structure
prediction that several people asked me for, can also be find at the
same site http://brahms.cpmc.columbia.edu .

Best regards,

Ning

A Coarse-to-fine Disparity Energy Model with both Phase-shift and
Position-shift Receptive Field Mechanisms

Yuzhi Chen and Ning Qian, Neural Computation, 2004, in press.

Numerous studies suggest that the visual system uses both phase- and
position-shift receptive field (RF) mechanisms for the processing of
binocular disparity. Although the difference between these two
mechanisms has been analyzed before, previous work mainly focused on
disparity tuning curves instead of population responses. However, tuning
curve and population response can exhibit different characteristics, and
it is the latter that determines disparity estimation. Here we
demonstrate, in the framework of the disparity energy model, that for
relatively small disparities, the population response generated by the
phase-shift mechanism is more reliable than that generated by the
position-shift mechanism. This is true over a wide range of parameters
including the RF orientation. Since the phase model has its own
drawbacks of underestimating large stimulus disparity and covering only
a restricted range of disparity at a given scale, we propose a
coarse-to-fine algorithm for disparity computation with a hybrid of
phase-shift and position-shift components. In this algorithm, disparity
at each scale is always estimated by the phase-shift mechanism to take
advantage of its higher reliability. Since the phase based estimation is
most accurate at the smallest scale when the disparity is
correspondingly small, the algorithm iteratively reduces the input
disparity from coarse to fine scales by introducing a {\em constant}
position-shift component to all cells for a given location in order to
offset the stimulus disparity at that location. The model also
incorporates orientation pooling and spatial pooling to further enhance
reliability. We have tested the algorithm on both synthetic and natural
stereo images, and found that it often performs better than a simple
scale averaging procedure.

http://brahms.cpmc.columbia.edu/publications/stereo-scale.pdf

Different Predictions by the Minimum Variance and Minimum Torque-Change
Models on the Skewness of Movement Velocity Profiles

Hirokazu Tanaka, Meihua Tai and Ning Qian, Neural Computation, 2004, in
press.

We investigated the differences between two well-known optimization
principles for understanding movement planning: the minimum variance
(MV) model of Harris \& Wolpert and the minimum torque-change (MTC)
model of Uno et al. Both models accurately describe the properties of
human reaching movements in ordinary situations (e.g. nearly straight
paths and bell-shaped velocity profiles). However, we found that the two
models can make very different predictions when external forces are
applied or when the movement duration is increased. We considered a
second-order linear system for the motor plant that has been used
previously to simulate eye movements and single-joint arm movements, and
were able to derive analytical solutions based on the MV and MTC
assumptions. With the linear plant, the MTC model predicts that the
movement velocity profile should always be symmetric, independent of the
external forces and movement duration. In contrast, the MV model
strongly depends on the movement duration and the system's degree of
stability; the latter in turn depends on the total forces. The MV model
thus predicts a skewed velocity profile under many circumstances. For
example, it predicts that the peak location should be skewed toward the
end of the movement when the movement duration is increased in the
absence of any elastic force. It also predicts that with appropriate
viscous and elastic forces applied to increase the system stability, the
velocity profile should be skewed toward the beginning of the movement.
The velocity profiles predicted by the MV model can even show
oscillations when the plant becomes highly oscillatory. Our analytical
and simulation results suggest specific experiments for testing the
validity of the two models.

http://brahms.cpmc.columbia.edu/publications/motor-models.pdf

--
Ning Qian, Ph. D.